Can't connect to the web

Vyppa 13:08 02 Jan 09

Hi
i've got a sony viao and it won't connect tot he internet....it finds my broadband with no trouble but every page i try to visit it comes with page not found.

i have started wireless config and its not that.....windows manages my connections so its not that

does anyone have any ideas?

thanks in advance

aca 14:09 02 Jan 09

worth rebooting the modem/router

also what ISP are you with? Have you checked with them that they dont have a problem

also check ISP password/login details on router/modem

Vyppa 14:23 02 Jan 09

modem etc are all ok, i have several laptopsand all the others work fine....like i said....the viao finds my modem straight away but won't display any web pages

thanks anyway

Inside Edge 14:51 02 Jan 09

...a long shot, since you have other laptops and would probably know better - I suppose the wireless on/off switch on the edge of the laptop is switched on? ....I only suggest this because I've overlooked it myself when it's somehow got knocked to the off position and I've tried all sorts of other diagnostics before realising !

Vyppa 15:06 02 Jan 09

Hi IE
yip, first thing i checked......like i say the wireless internet emblem in the bottom right hand corners is flashing like a good un at 54.0mps

so the LTop is connected to the web so my title is misleading....but it wont find any pages....have knocked the firewall off to no avail

i am scratching my head with this one and have been at it for 2 days

Inside Edge 15:28 02 Jan 09

Have you checked that the wireless encryption settings on the laptop match those in the router?

You could also check whether a hard wired RJ45 connection from the router to the laptop gets you online - if it does, then the basic configuration should be correct and I can't think of anything other than encryption mis-match and wireless network access password that would stop you displaying web pages. ....and of course you'd get an error message of some sort if there was any password issue.

...after that, I'm afraid it's over to someone who knows more than I !

Vyppa 15:44 02 Jan 09

checked em all my friend..........i have even turned off the wirless on the ltop and installed a vodafone dongle to connect in a different way.....it does exactly the same.....connect to my router immediately but refuses to display any web pages

Inside Edge 16:19 02 Jan 09

....by "checked 'em all" did you mean you've also tried a hard wired network connection? I ask, as this would at least tell you whether it's a general network set-up issue or a wireless one.

What Internet Security apps are you using? I bought a Vaio this Christmas and it came with all sorts of stuff pre-installed and just waiting to auto-leap into action. This included McAfee, which I've not used before, and which attempted to set up various layers of security that I didn't want. When you disabled the firewall, did you ensure that Windows and 3rd party firewall and security options were all covered ? .....it does sound like the problem lies there somewhere

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…