//some 3rd party need geo

Can't connect new router to pc and internet

canveyjack 16:52 28 Dec 05

Hello, I have just bought a new Sitecom Wireless Network Broadband Router 54g (which includes 2 PC cards), and wish to link my existing desktop PC to 2 laptops. However, I am having major difficulty in connecting them.
My internet connection is via Tiscali and I use the provided USB modem which is a Sagem Fast 800.
After my initial trouble with the router, I returned to the shop and I was told that it is impossible to connect a rotuer to a USB modem, and instead I should ditch the current modem and run the router directly from the phone line.
First of all, will this work? and secondly has this router got a built-in modem?
Also I can't see how I would connect the router to the phone line, even the splitter (BT) will not accept an Ethernet cable.
Someone please help, I have been racking my brains for hours since xmas lol!

Thanks Jack

retep888 17:01 28 Dec 05

Can you see an ADSL connection at the back of the router?

canveyjack 17:08 28 Dec 05

I don't think so, there's obviously a power port, 4 built-in Swith ports, and a WAN port, and thats it.

Jack

retep888 17:14 28 Dec 05

You've got the wrong router if you're on ADSL broadband, you'll need a combined modem/router(wireless), sorry about that.

canveyjack 17:18 28 Dec 05

Ok thanks for your help. Can you recommed any such routers that have a built-in modem, and also PC cards that would work with it to fit in two laptops? The cheaper the better lol.
Jack

retep888 17:35 28 Dec 05

If you return the whole package, I think those two pc cards have to go as well, otherwise you can keep them.

Netgear, Belkin, Linksys ,are all reputable manufacturers, I personally use Netgear DG834 GT(108 G) without any problems, but you can go for the DG 834 G (54G) moreless the same thing but cheaper and there are some good deals around, try pc world or similar.

I would like to use same manufacturer's pc card or usb adapter, but before you buy, make sure your laptop if they have built-in wifi if they're newish.

HTH

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…