Can't connect to the net help!

six-h 17:32 11 Aug 10

Have a PC that device Mgr tells me has a problem with the ethernet controller.
It says drivers for this device not installed - device unknown!
The "route" to it is :
PCI Bus 1 > Intel (R) 82801 PCI Bridge - 244E > Ethernet controller.

How can I get it working?

Ian in Northampton 17:40 11 Aug 10

Well, you could start by installing the driver... :-) Seriously: have you just performed major surgery on your PC, like reinstalled Windows? Windows won't load all the drivers you need: you need to identify the make/model of your Ethernet controller, locate a driver for it on the web, download it and install it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:55 11 Aug 10

Try uninstall and reinstall the driver,

six-h 18:00 11 Aug 10

Hi Ian, yes I've inherited it.
It's a "CentrePrize" International machine assembled in the UK running a celeron 2.4 Ghz processor and currently 128MB RAM
It has just had a clean install of XP Pro SP3, not yet validated (23 days to go!) so I was rather surprised to find some Dell folders on the C drive!
I'll have a look inside and see if I can identify an Ethernet controller card, not that I'd know what one looks like!
I'll try and identify the MB as well whilst I'm in there.

I've got it hooked up to an LCD screen but can't find an option to change the refresh rate to anything below 75Hz. Could this be why there is some "smearing" of the display?

six-h 18:02 11 Aug 10

Fruit Bat /\0/\, ther is no driver to uninstall or to roll back to! lol

woodchip 18:11 11 Aug 10

If the Controller is on the motherboard, you need motherboard drivers downloading from the site

six-h 18:20 11 Aug 10

I can' see a seperate card, the board is an Intel Desktop Board and has the Number D845EPI/D8456VSR
Searching the net for info relating to that No, I've found this:click here
No mention of an Ethernet Controller driver though.
Is the LAN driver what I need?

six-h 18:23 11 Aug 10

Just tried my link and it comes up with a different page!
The driver I'm talking about apears on the second page of this link and is the second item.

Ian in Northampton 18:44 11 Aug 10

Try running something like Belarc Advisor. click here It will (should) identify the manufacturer of your motherboard, and the model number. Head to the manufacturer's web site, locate the correct driver (yes, it may well be called LAN driver), download and install.

Ian in Northampton 18:47 11 Aug 10

Oh: and the fact that you can't adjust your monitor's settings may mean you're short of a driver for the graphics card as well. Does it show as 'faulty' in Device Manager?

In fact, if this is a fresh XP install, check what other yellow exclamation marks are in Device manager - you may need more than the Ethernet (and graphics) driver.

six-h 18:53 11 Aug 10

Thanks Ian, allready checked, no other problems reported by Device Mgr.
I've just swapped the 2x128MB sticks of RAM for 2x512 which is all I have.
Would like more , 'cos I'd loke to run Photoshop CS3 Extended on it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…