Cant Connect in net

craigy1 14:47 09 May 04

hiya
I would like to set up a laptop from my present address with a freeserve account. I have the account details from another PC including the password etc.

This is because i have two laptops and we want to change the details over to the new one.
My problem is that my present internet account is with BTopenworld.

I thought that I could set up a laptop in my house and connect to the net just to make sure its working before i give it back to the owner.

It tries to connect but says the password or user name is wrong, but it cant be cos I have the owner of the password and user name sat next to me and she says they are right. Will she have to take the laptop back to her house to try it out?

cream. 15:40 09 May 04

If it is an existing monthly subscription account, e.g. surftime, anytime. Then you will not be able to set it up from your house.

ISP's hand shakes, when one computer communicates with an other over the net, need 3 basic tests.

1) is the phone number

2) is the user name

3) is the password

All 3 must match.

Sometimes a fourth component can cause a problem and that is the computers unique I.D. number.

You would do better trying to set up the internet from the users address.

igk 15:45 09 May 04

I tried this some time ago and I am pretty sure its to do with "caller line Identity" used by isp's to verify and trace,(if you get your phone co to disable this you will have dificulty using most isp's) you will find that as soon as you try using the original location (your friends phone line) it will work.

craigy1 18:45 09 May 04

i see what you both mean. i do have all 3 things right, so maybe it is the computer id that is blocking it or it could be the caller line id.

Cos i have the old laptop with me as well and that wont connect to the net from my address either.

cream. 20:27 09 May 04

I think you are missing the point.

If the isp account is setup with telephone number 01234 567890. It will not connect if tried on your different number say 01234 567891

They will not match with the server and access will be refused.

I changed my phone supplier a few years ago and was issued with a new telephone number. I had to call my ISP for them to alter the server to allow the new number.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5