Cant Connect and is my Router Bust?

belcanto 18:57 09 Aug 07

Hi there-I have three problems but they are connected as far as I am concerned. First of all, why is it that I can connect to unsecured networks sometimes but at other times I cannot. This is very frustrating.

Secondly, is it best to leave the IP address, etc on auto find? If not how can I find out what it is.

Thirdly, I am not on the internet at the moment, thanks to Virgin media, but that will change soon. I have wifi on all of my PCs and even though it shows my network name, they cant seem to see each other so that I can access the files on various computers. I have tried to reconfigure my 2nd hand belkin cable router via 192.168. etc but win explorer wont let me in. Can anyone tell me why and how to solve this. I have also tried to reset my router but to no avail.

TIA-Belcanto

ambra4 20:15 09 Aug 07

Setting Up a Broadband ADSL2/2+ Modem/Router/Wireless 54Mbps with 4 port switch

Firewalls

If any firewalls are installed on any of the PCs, uninstall them.

This includes Zone Alarm, Sygate, Kerio, Norton Internet Security, Zero Knowledge Freedom, Cisco VPN Client, F-Secure, McAfee Firewall, Trend Micro, etc.

In many cases, disabling the firewall is not enough; you have to actually uninstall it.

Do not install or re-install the firewall until after you have the network functioning properly

Regardless of how many computers you are trying to network together, start with just two.

A bad network card, driver, cable, virus, or Spyware on just one PC can jeopardize the integrity of an entire network.

So turn off all but two PCs.

Once you get these two working properly, then turn on one more and get it working.

The key is to start with just two PCs, then add the remainder one by one.

Web Browser Settings

Internet Explorer 4.0 or Higher

Start your web browser. Select “Tools” then “Internet Options”.

In the “Internet Options” screen, there are three selections:

“Never dial a connection”,

“Dial whenever a network connection is not present”

“Always dial my default connection”.

If you can make a selection, select “Never dial a connection”.

If you cannot make a selection, go to the next step.

Under the “Internet Options” screen, click on “Connections”

Select “LAN Settings”

Make sure there are no check marks next to any of the displayed Options:

“Automatically detect settings”,

“Use automatic configuration script”

“Use a proxy server”.

Click “OK”. Then click “OK” again in the “Internet Options” page.

Network Adapter Setup on the Computer

Also called a LAN card (Local Area Network) or NIC card (Network Interface Connection)

Click “Start”, “Settings” Network Connection

Double-click on the “Network Connection

Left-click on the “Local Area Connection” associated with your network adapter

Select “Properties” from the drop-down menu.

In the “Local Area Connection Properties” window all boxes should be ticked

Tick the box “Show Icon in Notification Area When Connected,

An Icon will appear in the task bar when you have finish the setup

Click “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)” Click the “Properties” button

Select “Obtain an IP address automatically

Select “Obtain DNS server address automatically”

Do Not Change Any Other Setting

Click “OK”.

Your computer network card is now configured for use with the Modem/Router

Other Network Connection Setting

Start- Setting-Network Connection-New Connection Wizard-Next

Chose-Connect to the Internet-Next

Set Up My Connection Manually-Next

Click Connect using a broadband connection that is always on-Next

Finish

Router Setup

Power On The Router And Wait 1-2 Min’s

Start your browser and enter the router access code, check the manual and just follow the instruction

Once the router setup is completed and you have SAVE the setting log out and close browser

Reboot the Router by power it off and back on and wait 1-2 Min’s

You should see 5 green lights showing on Modem/Router

The 2 displays Icon should be in the task bar-Right Click and click Status- Support

What you should see is the following:

Address Type: Assigned by DHCP

IP Address 192.186.1.XXX

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway 192.168.X.X

If you click the Detail button you will see a lot more information the WINS Server is always blank

You should now be able to browse the Internet

If you have any other blank spaces (Gateway, IP address etc) you need to recheck the Internet Options/LAN card setting and the Router Setup

All router have a reset button at the back of the router, which will normally reset the router to the factory setting.

It is sometimes desirable to restore the ADSL modem router to the factory default settings if you having problems accessing the Internet

With Netgear routers you have to use the Erase Function

ambra4 20:16 09 Aug 07

Setting Up The Wireless System

You have to setup the SSID address on the router first

By default some wireless router come setup with the manufacture name as the SSID address 3Com, Linksys, Belkin etc, you can change the SSID to what ever you want, 452john06 or ezyclip01 etc.

Write it down; as the same name must be used on the wireless device when set it up to access the wireless router.

Do not setup the security system as yet, make sure that you can access the router and browse the Internet first, and then setup the security system.

If you get it wrong the wireless device will not access the wireless router or the Internet

Some laptop computer with a building wireless card required you to switch on the Wireless Radio Antenna via a small slide switch, or enable the wireless card via the network connection software on the PC if not sure check the manual

If using a Wireless Bus Card you must install the software driver on the CD first.

Just read the manual and follow the instruction

You must power of the laptop before inserting the wireless bus.

Inserting a wireless bus card with the power on can damage the card, plus the OS will not load the driver

If installing a PCI wireless card into a desktop computer follow the instruction in the manual all manufactures do things difference

If using a USB Adapter you need to install the software driver first before plug in the USB Adapter

Check out this site before you setup the wireless system could save you a lot of time and headache.

click here

Good Luck Enjoy

Question said by first time user of Cable/ADSL Wireless Broadband

The first PC does not have to be on for the wireless system to work

Once the router is on all wireless devices should have local and Internet access

If you install a wireless card or a USB Adapter and move it a difference room, and need to change any setting on the router, you must move it close to router and connect via the LAN cable

With a hard wire system the LAN card runs at 100Mbps, wireless runs 54Mbps

If the PC is laptop yes it will give you ability to move around the house and not stuck in one room

You cannot see the wireless system from a hard wire PC only your Local Area Connection

If there is a wireless card installed on the PC you will see it in the network connection area

You cannot have both the LAN and Wireless connect at the same time.

Some computers will automatic disable the LAN or wireless card as required, as this causes conflict within the router

The hard wire connection will allow you access the wireless router setup Wireless, Internet, Security, Password etc.

The connect speed on the wireless PC is governed by the location of the router to the laptop, distance, amount and thickness of walls, quality of signal etc. it can verity from 11Mbps to 54Mbps

If laptop is losing connection from router walk around the room with the laptop and check the signal quality

If you buy one of the new 108Mbps wireless router you must buy a 108Mbps card or USB Adapter
for each wireless device you want to connect at that speed.

The normal connect speed on a build in wireless card or USB adapter is 54Mbps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…