Can’t connect laptop & PC

Onizuka 16:43 06 Dec 09

I have a PC running Windows Vista Home Premium and a laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium. The PC has Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 and the laptop came with McAfee SecurityCenter pre-installed. I have set up a network with the PC connected directly by Ethernet cable to the wireless router and the laptop connected wirelessly. Both will connect at the same time to the internet but cannot connect to each other with the result that I cannot connect the laptop to the printer through the PC or access any of the files on the PC or on the external hard drive (connected to the PC).

On the PC I tried:

Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center>View computer and devices.

Under Network it shows the two computers as [Name]-PC and [Name]LAP1-PC. When I right-click on [Name]LAP1-PC a box appears with the message:

\\[Name]-LAP1-PC is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.

When I click on Network on the laptop both computers are also shown and clicking on [Name]-PC produces a box saying

Enter your [network] password to connect to [Name]-PC.

However, whichever password I enter, be it my PC logon password or the Network Security Key, it results in:

Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

I have lost count of the number of searches I have done in the last few days in all the PC Advisor forums, websites including Microsoft and my head is now spinning but nowhere can I find simple explanations of what to do. And although I have come across plenty of information about connecting Vista and XP computers, nowhere have I found anything about connecting Vista and Windows 7.

I suspect, although I do not know, that Kaspersky on the PC and McAfee on the laptop may be blocking access to each other but it is not obvious (to the complete layman) in either case what settings should be changed, if any. I am very reluctant to change individual settings without knowing what I am doing. If I disable both KIS and McAfee and that lets me connect the computers, will they be disconnected when I switch KIS and McAfee back on, and won’t switching them off let all sorts of nasties in?

I hope someone can give me a simple idiot’s guide!

Onizuka 15:44 07 Dec 09

Since posting the above I switched off the modem so that there was no outside connection and disabled both KIS and McAfee. It did not make the slightest difference and I still could not connect the two computers. I am sure it is a very simple process, when you know how, so I await someone's help, please.

mgmcc 21:40 07 Dec 09

Make sure you're logged into both computers with the *SAME* Username and Password, or at least have an Account set up in both computers with a common Username/Password.

Make sure both computers are in the *SAME* Workgroup and that in the "permissions" of the shared folders you've allowed access to "Everyone" and with Read/Write access.

>>> Logon failure: the user has not been granted
>>> the requested logon type at this computer

This can indicate a problem. In the *remote* PC that you're trying to access when you receive this error, open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK). At the prompt, type...

NET USER GUEST

...and press Enter. A lot of detail will be displayed but one of the lines should say "Account Active Yes". Check to see if this is the case.

Onizuka 16:46 08 Dec 09

mgmcc - thanks. I've done all you suggest and with both PC and laptop I get "Account Active Yes". I still can't access the laptop from the PC nor can I see the PC's external drive from the laptop and as it's where I keep all my data, photos, etc, it is annoying.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5