Cant connect to internet wired but wireless i can?

wams 22:09 18 Jan 11
Answered

My brothers laptop cant connect to the internet, I have used system restore but it always fails, always. we have also done a clean install many times. I have connected his laptop to my internet and works fine,I have also and connected my laptop to his connection again it works fine.

I have navigated through open network and sharing centre and flicked back and forth from private and public networks.

Device manager has no warning signs, devices all ok.

I have searced the help forum for any similar issues, the only thread thats has similarities is. click here

click here

this guy resolved his post with Home Plugs but i dont know what that is.

Any solutions, Thanks Wams

Nontek 22:35 18 Jan 11

I use Homeplugs - absolutely brilliant, no software just plug in and go!!
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:50 18 Jan 11

Assuming you can connect your laptop to his router / internet then either

His router is blocking his laptop (MAC address fitering) {unlikely if OK on wireless]
or
His laptop has a problem with the ethernet drivers / ethernet connection
His firewall locking access to the router
or the cable he is using is faulty.

Have you tried connecting his laptop to by wire to your router?

wams 23:53 18 Jan 11

It works fine wireless.

We have downloaded updates for the drivers and changed the ethernet cable. its only when we connect to his internet the issue arises.

OS Vista - Compaq Presario CQ70 if it helps.

HP Total Care Advisor has always has issues when the program is run, a box opens and as soon as its closed HP total care closes, I thought that could one way or another be the problem.

mgmcc 09:02 19 Jan 11

With the problem computer connected by ethernet cable to the router, run IPCONFIG /ALL in a Command Prompt window. Go to “Start > Run”, type…

cmd.exe /k ipconfig /all

...and click OK. Note the THREE spaces. This will show details of all network adapters installed in the PC. Right click in the Command Prompt window, "Select All" and press Enter to copy the details to the clipboard. Paste the details into a forum reply here.

wams 20:37 22 Jan 11
Answer

For some reason the laptop is now getting an internet connection, we have deactivated norton 360 firewall and started using windows firewall with windows defender running in the background.

If I start having more problems I will re-thread.

THanks for all your time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017