can't connect to internet, no ip address (acer)

english rose 17:32 19 Jul 08

I have an acer 3660 and i can no longer connect to the internet, i have a connection but when i open explorer it just says 'cannot connect'. Other internet uses in the house can connect, so it is definitely something wrong with my lap top. I have checked the connection and it says that i do not have an IP address and the gateway is not valid. How do i do these? Any help is much appreciated.

Many thanks

iqs 17:36 19 Jul 08

or hardwired connection

The Kestrel 17:43 19 Jul 08

Is your operating system Windows XP and did you download the recent windows updates? Did this problem occur after downloading the updates? If so, it could be a conflict between windows and your firewall or other security program. Zonealarm was particularly affected.

This may help solve your problem click here

english rose 18:20 19 Jul 08

it's wireless.
it is windows xp and i do have zonealarm on it, i don't know if i did download recent updates as my computer updates automatically, so it probably has, yes. How will i know if there is a conflict between windows and my security settings?

The Kestrel 20:18 19 Jul 08

If you have automatic updates, you have probably downloaded the updates and this has caused the problem. Disable zonealarm by clicking on the icon and exiting the program. Ignore the warning from XP about being unprotected. You should now be able to access the internet again. If this is not the case then the windows update is not the problem.

Go to click here and download the latest version of Zonealarm. Install the new version of zonealarm and if I'm correct you will now be able to access the internet again with zonealarm enabled and protecting your PC. I had exactly the same problem with my wife's PC and this solved the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5