can't connect to the internet

jemima.peter 17:59 13 Jul 10

Any help gratefully received!

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 PC running Windows XP SP3 which won't connect to the internet. Last week it worked, but for no apparent reason it stopped a few days ago and now I can't connect to the internet.
It's not the router as I can use the internet from my laptop no problem. The router is connected to the PC via the cable, and the network adapter is a Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller. I have followed other threads on here re. changing IP address etc but that didn't work. Sky (ISP) tried a load of stuff and finally suggested reinstalling Windows, which I did.
Following this the internet worked for about half an hour last night, but is now off again. Any suggestions gratefully received, as after many hours at this now the suggestion from a previous thread re. throwing it out of the window is looking more and more appealing :)

Thanks in advance :)

mgmcc 22:20 13 Jul 10

As internet connectivity has failed again after a reinstallation of Windows, it could be that the network adapter has failed.

However, open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK) then, at the prompt, type...

ipconfig /all

...and press Enter. This will show details of all network adapters installed in the PC. Right click in the Command Prompt window, "Select All" and press Enter to copy the details to the clipboard. Paste the details into a forum reply here.

If you are unable to paste the details directly from the computer, because it cannot get online, paste them instead into a blank "Notepad" file, transfer the file to a working PC and copy/paste the details from there. It might just give an indication of what the problem is.

jemima.peter 17:23 14 Jul 10

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name .............: dimension2400
Primary Dns Suffix ....:
Node Type .............: Unknown
IP Routing Enabled ....: No
WINS Proxy Enabled ....: No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix ..:
Description .....................: Broadcom 44x 10/100 Integrated Controller
Physical Address ................: 00-0D-56-63-CB-90
Dhcp Enabled ....................: No
IP Address ......................: 169.254.248.164
Subnet Mask .....................: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway .................: 192.168.0.1

These were the settings suggested by Sky when I phoned their tech support at first.

jemima.peter 17:29 14 Jul 10

Since yesterday I have tried ipconfig/renew and release at the suggestion of the tech guy at work, and got this back:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Windows IP Configuration

Primary Dns Suffix ....:

Dhcp Enabled ....................: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled .......: Yes
IP Address ......................: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask .....................: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway .................:
DHCP Server .....................: 255.255.255.255

I also reset the options to automatically obtain address/dns etc. after sky told me to set them manually.

onthelimit 17:29 14 Jul 10

DHCP shows as disabled. Have a read click here

onthelimit 17:30 14 Jul 10

Just seen your latest which shows it is now enabled.

onthelimit 17:31 14 Jul 10

BUT, there's no IP address showing. We'll wait for the experts!

jemima.peter 17:34 14 Jul 10

not so sure that it is the network adapter as pc has two installed - broadcom, and a disabled netgear. Both have been in the machine with no changes for at least 2 years or more. I tried disabling the broadcom and re-enabling the netgear, which got me connected to the internet for about ten minutes 2 nights ago, but then it went again, so i switched everything back to broadcom.

However, last night i tried using a wireless usb adapter that I know works, and it just kept trying to renew the IP address over and over again. so after trying two adapters and the wireless, it's still not working. the guy at sky kept saying it wasn't a hardware issue, but i tried the winsock thing he suggested and that didn't work, and i would've thought that reinstalling windows should have taken care of anything else?

still no internet :(

mgmcc 17:35 14 Jul 10

That shows two things:

1) "DHCP Enabled No" indicates that DHCP isn't enabled for the PC to get its addresses automatically from the router.

2) The IP address of 169.254.248.164 is an APIPA one (Automatic Private IP Addressing). When the IP address cannot be obtained from a DHCP server, Windows defaults to allocating a "169.254" address, which won't let you access either the router or the internet.

Open the Services window ("Start > Run", type SERVICES.MSC and click OK), scroll down to the entry for "DHCP Client" and double click it to open its Properties sheet. Make sure the service is "Started" and that its Startup Type is "Automatic".

jemima.peter 22:56 15 Jul 10

have tried the 'services.msc' and the settings are already as you suggest, but checked the 'ipconfig' tonight and that's changed:

Windows IP Configuration

Primary Dns Suffix ....:

Dhcp Enabled ....................: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled .......: Yes
IP Address ......................: 169.254.248.164
Subnet Mask .....................: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway .................:

the ip address/subnet mask has changed and the dhcp server line had disappeared - does that help any?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced