Can't connect to internet

Debbie46 10:43 26 Oct 09

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me. My daughter's laptop won't connect to internet. The wireless connection is all ok but it won't show internet page. This happened after I had to do some updates yesterday. Apparently internet browswer 8 along with a service pack was downloaded and since then we cannot connect to internet. I have very limited knowledge on computers so any help before I send into PC World would be very much appreciated. Thank you
Debbie

Taff™ 10:54 26 Oct 09

I think you`re referring to Internet Explorer 8 which has been out for a few months now. Have you tried switching off the PC, then unplugging the router power supply. Leave for a few minutes. Then reboot the router followed by the PC.

rdave13 10:55 26 Oct 09

Have you tried rebooting the router? Switch off the router for a minitue or so then switch on again. See if the laptop will connect.

Debbie46 11:19 26 Oct 09

I will try that and see if it resolves it. We did try to do a system restore but that didn't work. Thanks for your comments I will let you know if it works.

Debbie

Debbie46 13:44 26 Oct 09

Hi,
I have tried the above to no avail - any other suggestions please.
thank you
Debbie

Sea Urchin 13:52 26 Oct 09

I would suggest rolling back to IE7 to determine if that is the cause of the problem. If using XP go to Control Panel - Add/Remove programs. Make sure the box at the top "Show Updates" is ticked. Then scroll down to and highlight Windows Internet Explorer 8 and select Remove. This should take you back to IE7. Reboot and try your connection again.

Debbie46 13:54 26 Oct 09

Hi - I am using Vista - would that be the same process?

Kingfisher 18:44 26 Oct 09

Try connecting with ethernet cable this will rule out router problem, If you can connect then there is something wrong with your wireless set up, if you cannot connect with ethernet cable then contact your isp for advice, rolling back to IE7 is the same for vista as xp

Sea Urchin 19:13 26 Oct 09

In Vista use Programs and Features rather than Add/Remove programs in XP - but as Kingfisher says process is the same

Taff™ 07:33 29 Oct 09

Uninstalling IE8 is a bit radical. Try running IE8 without add ons first. All Programs>Accessories>System Tools> IE8 (Without Add Ons)If that works the problem narrows down to an add on or spyware such as MyWebSearch

Ethernet Cable suggestion is also sound advice and should be tried before the above.

PcTestCard.com 09:17 29 Oct 09

Have repaired many laptops with similar problem.
Connection icon shown connected but no data bit received at all.

Try visit the laptop manufacturer web site, reinstall the latest chipset driver and reboot laptop, then reinstall the latest wireless card driver again.

Hope this helps!
Bill

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now