Can't Connect to the Internet

skellybits 07:55 30 Aug 09

As the title says, I'm having trouble connecting my PC to the internet. I just moved and I'm trying to set up an internet connection on my computer. When I plug in the ethernet cable, there's a little orange light that turns on so I assume that means everything is connected properly, but when I try to browse the internet it doesn't work.
There are two other computer connected to the same router which both have working internet, it's just my PC that's having trouble.

I probably should mention that I had my computer fixed by a friend a while ago (it wouldn't turn on or anything) and he did wipe the hard drive, though as far as I know he did not install anything on my computer afterward. Is there some kind of driver that I need for this to work?

Sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable about computers so if it sounds like I don't know what I'm talking about, I probably don't. :p

Jak_1 08:02 30 Aug 09

Which ISP are you with and what router?
Did the router come with a setup CD?
What OS?
With XP I had to setup the connection, with Vista it it set the connection automaticaly.

accordion 08:06 30 Aug 09

The first thing to do is check that all device drivers have been installed following the reinstall of Windows.

Click on Start/Run and type 'devmgmt.msc' in the run box. Press 'Enter'.

Are there any devices showing with a yellow warning icon?

Dave

crosstrainer 08:08 30 Aug 09

The clue might be in the fact that you have just moved....Did you inform your ISP of change in phone numbers etc?

You Can't move and assume that all will work as before. Contact them and they will help you sort things out :))

PcTestCard.com 08:56 30 Aug 09

Make sure the LAN card is installed probably first.

check the network TCP/IP are set to auto IP and DNS.

Could be the onboard LAN hardware error that you need to find out as well.

Hope this helps!
Bill

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…