can't connect to the Internet

s99Raj 23:08 13 Jun 05

I have ntl broadband. I plugged the modem into my laptop and all the necessary internet connections were detected and setup automatically within a few seconds, and I was on the Net.

I've also just built a PC from scratch and loaded XP Prof onto it. I have an Asus A8V-E Deluxe motherboard which has an Ethernet connector on it. I've loaded all appropriate drivers off the CD that came with the m/b. Just like with the laptop I plugged the Ethernet cable into the back of the PC, started IE 6; it said "detecting proxy settings..." but then fails to connect.

What could I be missing??

The lights at the back of the PC connected to the Ethernet port are flashing orange as they should be.

s99Raj 23:36 13 Jun 05

dan11 23:51 13 Jun 05

Have you checked

That the network card is enabled. Control panel > network connections > local area connection > connected.

Right click it, properties > general tab > tcp/ip > properties. Is obtain an ip address automatically and obtain a dns server automatically,both ticked.

Also look in IE > tools > internet options > connections > lan settings. Is automatically detect settings ticked?

Is your windows and or other firewalls, turned off.

Greengage 09:32 14 Jun 05

Try unplugging the modem from the mains, wait 20/30 seconds and then plug in and attempt to access internet again.

s99Raj 16:35 14 Jun 05

Yes, the local area connection says "Enabled".

I have switched the modem off several times for 30 seconds or more and then back on.

The "obtain ip address automatically" and " obtain dns server automatically" are both ticked.

The ntl website tells me to untick "Automatically detect settings" under Tools/Internet Options/Connections/ LAN Settings, so I've done that too.

I've also tried going to Run and typing cmd and then
"netsh int ip reset c:log.txt" as they suggest but this has made no difference.

When I try "ipconfig /all" I get back the ip address as and the ntl website tells me that if it begins with 169 then I will not be able to use the Internet and that troubleshooting is required, but no further.

So what next? My laptop still works fine.

s99Raj 12:38 15 Jun 05

I've been in touch with Novatech (where I bought the motherboard from) and a guy there went through the settings for ntl with me and said he could see nothing wrong and that I was doing all the right things.

Now I'm beginning to wonder if it's a driver issue, even though I'm using the updated one off the asus website. Has anyone else had problems with setting up an Internet connection with this motherboard (the Asus A8V-E Deluxe)?

roygbiv 13:09 15 Jun 05

just my experenice, the last few days. DECT phones and Broadband are NOT 100% compatible.

Greengage 11:28 16 Jun 05

You say you switched off the modem - but did you unplug?

s99Raj 12:43 16 Jun 05

DECT phones??? What relevance is that?

Yes, I did unplug the modem from the mains for long enough ( sometimes two minutes, sometimes half an hour).

medicine hat 13:52 16 Jun 05

Are you using a router?

s99Raj 17:05 16 Jun 05

No, no router - just straight from the PC's LAN port into the cable modem.

I've also tried ipconfig, but after ipconfig /renew I get this message:

An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…