can't connect to browser

fullywired23 16:33 01 Nov 05

Hi

My daughter in Cyprus has sent me this problem.
They have recently moved to Cyprus .They have a dial up connection,they also have a lap top and a desktop .the problem is .The laptop works perfectly when she goes online she can get her browser and home pag e with no problem .but the desk top goes online but the browser won't launch ,they just get the message "can't find server ,yet the settings on the desk top are the same as the laptop.they have tried the usual stuff "tools " "internet options " changed the home page etc but it will not launch,Has anyone any ideas please , any would be appreciated

Gongoozler 17:02 01 Nov 05

Hi viejo, I'm having some diffficulty understanding the question, so please bear with me while I try to unravel it. With the desktop computer, is your daughter unable to open the browser program or to connect to the ISP? Is the connection dial-up or broadband? What version of Windows is your daughter using? Is she able to connect to the ISP without using the browser? (In Windows XP, Start - All Programs - Accessories - Communications - Network connections. Right click on the connection for the ISP and select "Connect")

fullywired23 18:24 01 Nov 05

Hi gongoozler

with the desktop computer she can connect to the internet but nothing else she cannpot launch her browser ,she just gets cannot find server,she has tried Changing things in "internet options ".but still no joy .Yet the laptop connects and launches without problems and she tells me the settings on both are the same because she has checked .So it is not a problem with the line because of course the Laptop works .I have suggested Downloading "firefox onto her pendrive plugged into the laptop and then install on desktop,perhaps a different browser might launch
but I am not very hopeful about that

viejo

Jackcoms 18:34 01 Nov 05

Are the desktop and the laptop trying to connect at the same time using the same phone line?

If so, you will not be able to have both machines connected simultaneously because there will not be sufficient bandwidth.

Gongoozler 18:55 01 Nov 05

Hi viejo. Connect to the internet and launching the browser are different things. Ask your daughter to try my suggestion of connecting to the isp directly via Network connections. If she can't, then it is an internet connection problem, either a modem setting or isp setting. Although your daughter has checked the settings, it is always possible that she has missed something.

fullywired23 19:07 01 Nov 05

Thanks chaps
I have e-mailed your responses to her .I will wait and see what she makes of it

much obliged viejo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…