Cant connect BB to replacement PC

Tazfan 11:41 05 May 06

Hi strangers.
My frind has sold a PC to another friend. There is a problem though. The PC used to live at my house, where it was connected to the internet (NTL BB), via my Router using Ethernet.

In its new home, which is also NTL BB enabled, the system will not accept the modem. He has run the installation for the (Home 120) modem, and its saying it cant load it, and to contact NTL Tech. In his old system, there is a good, solid connection using the same modem.
It was connected via USB at first, so he tried the install procedure again using Ethernet, but again, no joy.
Do any of you have any suggestions?

As always, many thanks in advance for your time and trouble.

Gongoozler 11:49 05 May 06

Try this. Go to Start - All Programs - Accessories - Communications - Network Connections. Delete any NTL entries and then reinstall.

thms 12:11 05 May 06

If you have Xp try this diconnect router
Go to Start/run/type cmd/then type ipconfig /release
Switch off connect router then reboot.

pj123 12:33 05 May 06

Is this any help?

click here

howard63 17:57 05 May 06

when I was on ntl you had to set each pc up following the instructions on the cd from ntl. You also need to enter the name of the pc and get the ntl system to accept it. Was I glad when I moved and there was no cable to my property.

Tazfan 18:11 05 May 06

Its sorted, and the solution had taught me something I didnt know.
The new owner tried what was suggested by Gongoozler and thms, then gave up and called NTL. What they told him to do sounded ridiculous to me, but it worked. He was told to simply swap ends on the Ethernet cable! So, the end that was plugged into the PC was swapped with the modem end, and straight away the modem was detected, and sorted itself out.

I had no idea Ethernet cables were bidirectional like that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…