cant conect to the internet.

DrLector 20:33 10 Nov 03

i keep trying to get online but evey time the dile up box comes up and i press conect ,it just says - failed to connect to remote computer - unable to establish a connection.
my other pc works fine, also theres no dile tone nothing,
is my modem dead.
im running with supanet,win98 and my moden is old
(4/5) years

A_World_Maker 20:55 10 Nov 03

Have you checked the password and dialup number is correct? Do this (if you are using 98 or older) from the Connections Folder, or 'Start'....Settings....Network Connections in XP.. sorry dont know any others

R4 20:56 10 Nov 03

Probably your old modem has expired, if it cannot see the dial tone it will not attempt to do anything. .. It could be your cable, try changing it.

I assume that you are using the same phone socket on both computers.

Kalb 20:58 10 Nov 03

Initially make sure the computer is the sole connection to your phone plug....use the phone handset & plug into the socket above the phone connection to the modem on the back of the computer...is there a dial tone in the phone?
If so the problem is likely to be the modem or its connection to the computer
If there is no dial tone st the phone then the problem is the connection from the phone plug to the modem.

A_World_Maker 20:59 10 Nov 03

From memory... open Control Panel... click Modems.. select your modem... there should be a 'query' or 'diagnostics' option... this will check your modem... also try looking in the 'Devices' (System icon in control panel) and look to see if your modem is in the list, if it is, right hand click and select Properties.. to check its resources and that it is enabled.

It's a start

Kalb 21:00 10 Nov 03

sorry st read at !

woodchip 21:44 10 Nov 03

If you can plug a phone into the back of your modem try to see if you have a Dial Tone. Its a phone socket in the back not the Modem socket

PS they do not all have one, But test the line first with a phone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac