//some 3rd party need geo

Can't change screen resolution

brambles 11:58 04 Apr 05

After loading Windows XP Service Pack2 I have a serious problem with my screen resolution.
Looking at it in display it is showing Lowest 4 bit - but more concerning there is no way I can alter the resolution. It's almost as if the machine is operating in safe mode. Any recommendations - I can remove Service Pack 2 but don't want to. Windows XP Professional.

Brambles

TomJerry 12:08 04 Apr 05

check graphics card's web site to see any new driver software available

brambles 09:41 05 Apr 05

I was at a friends house when I posted the query yesterday. Thank you for responding so quickly in the end I had to do a system restore to get a decent picture back. Looking at Display in the settings there is no graphiccs card shown, from which we could have checked for an update, as you suggested. The graphics card is shown as default & not a specific manufacturer/type as I think it should be.

I know he took Windows off & reinstalled everything - would the graphics card have its own drivers CD or would Windows XP have recognised it?

Don't worry if you can't help - but thank you for responding anyway.

Brambles

Graham ® 09:52 05 Apr 05

Belarc Advisor will tell you what the graphics card is, or Device Manager.

These gliches do happen occasionally, if System Restore has cured it, I would leave it be.

brambles 10:28 05 Apr 05

Appreciate your response Graham ® and, whilst we have resolved the resolution problem, it still means the problem was created by trying to install Service Pack 2 - which we still haven't done.

Brambles

TomJerry 11:08 05 Apr 05

because sp2 has problems with some old version of some graphics driver

the driver should come with a CD, but you can normally get the newer version from manufuacturer's web site

Stuartli 14:29 05 Apr 05

Have you tried right clicking the Desktop>Display Settings>Properties>Advanced tab>Adapter tab and then clicking on List All Modes?

This will detail all the resolutions and colours that your graphics card can support and you select which one you require.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…