Can't change I.E's home page

doggon 23:12 25 Jun 06

Good Evening,

For a long time now I have had google as I.E's home page. About two weeks ago I changed this to google news and now wish to revert back to internet explorer. I normally lock my home page in SpyBot but when I changed to google news I forgot to lock it down again. I now find I can't apply any changes to my home page. It's not locked down in either SpyBot or Spyware Blaster, both of which are installed on my computer. I ran various malware programs and 'a squared' found a trojan which it listed as Trojan.Win32.StartPage.akb. 'a squared' removed it and a second run found nothing. Nothing is 'greyed out' in the internet options dialogue box and though I apply the change and click ok, no change to my home page takes place. I am stuck with google news. I tried ‘system restore’ but it wasn’t functioning. Can anyone offer me any advice.

Thanks, doggon.

oakwood 00:16 26 Jun 06

Hi
Try here

click here

Graham ® 08:47 26 Jun 06

You must turn off System Restore. The trojan will be in there.

johnnyrocker 10:15 26 Jun 06

did you click apply before ok?

johnny.

VoG II 11:02 26 Jun 06

If it still won't 'stick' click here

doggon 20:46 27 Jun 06

Sorry for the delay in responding to advice, I was called away from home on company business and have only recently returned.

oakwood. Tried kaspersky, and though trojan is listed, there is no removal tool. It’s a new variant and no description is as yet available.

Graham ®. I had already turned off System Restore.

johnnyrocker. Yes, I do click apply before ok.

VoG™. I followed your advice and tried StartPage Guard but it couldn't fix the problem. I kept getting 'RegSetValueEx Failed with 5'.

As I stated, 'a squared' removed it but I presume the trojan must have altered entries in the registry. I can't find any reference to it when doing a registry search with Registry First Aid. I didn’t expect to but tried out of desperation. If I can’t resolve this then I will restore using Acronis TrueImage. I have an image which was made before this infection occurred.

Thanks to all who responded.

doggon.

doggon 22:08 01 Jul 06

Good Evening,

Just thought I would post a conclusion to this problem. After trying everything I could think of and getting nowhere, I decided to restore from an image made using Acronis TI Personal Edition v 8. This was a cover freebie, I forget the magazine now, and earlier in the year I had a dummy run with it when it functioned perfectly. Since then I have been doing a full image every week (takes about 30 minutes) and always keep the last two. Once again, it worked a treat. I owe Acronis a debt of gratitude.

doggon.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…