Cant change home page?

night 12:47 04 Jan 04

I am trying to put my Home page to Tiscali but it reverts to a Looking For Page etc,with the Web Page. res://mshp.dll/index.html#22776, how can I change this to my home page or is it part of Tiscali or the Computer Manufacture and cant be removed? or can Explorer be repaired to facilitate original settings?

Big Elf 12:54 04 Jan 04

Download and run these:

Spybot click here

AdAware click here

HiJack This click here

CoolWebShredder click here

Nellie2 13:00 04 Jan 04

It is not a good idea to use Hijackthis unless you know what you are doing as a lot of what it lists is useful and even essential to the running of your PC. And NEVER run it out of a temporary directory. Always put it into its own folder, that way backups are available should anything go wrong.

Big Elf 13:11 04 Jan 04

Good point. However they do give you the warnings when you both install and scan. But I agree you should post the log to their recommended forum before removing any items.

muppetmark 13:15 04 Jan 04

We're getting quite good with these hijackers

click here

Nellie2 13:15 04 Jan 04

thanks Big Elf.. good advice and both forums are excellent.

VoG II 13:26 04 Jan 04

Once you've got the homepage you want, lock it click here

night 19:06 04 Jan 04

I have tried your suggestions but no go it seems I need to change my browser settings so how does one accomplish this ?

Big Elf 19:36 04 Jan 04

Didn't Spybot or AdAware pick anything up at all?

Can you please post the 'Hijack This' log (and also at muppetmark's forum). If it's fairly large then please post it in smallish chunks. We then can either recognise or google the entries to let you know what's is potentially the problem.

muppetmark 19:39 04 Jan 04

Thank's for your suggestion, it is far easier to read the logs there.

It is very hard work reading them here.

Big Elf 19:40 04 Jan 04

If you google the 'res://mshp.dll/index.html#22776' in your first post it gives 8 results all related to spyware/home page hijacking which Spybot and AdAware would normally pick up.

You did update the 'reference' files for each of them?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…