cant burn recorded tv from Windows media centre

noobtype 10:25 14 Apr 08

It says the file type is not supported. Is there a way round this without buying Nero or something similar? I have Vista home.

john bunyan 10:43 14 Apr 08

noobtype. Could you give more details of your system? I thought MCE was on Home Premium only? Anyway I only have XP MCE. TV shows are recorded in so-called drv.ms files. You should be able to burn them to a DVD but it will only work on your PC. To burn to a video DVD for use on stand alone DVD players you have to transcode the dvr.ms files,the finalise the disc. This is a lengthy process (about the same time as the programme). I use Roxio copy and convert (you can buy it seperately from the Suite) but I believe VideoReDo from videoredo.com may be better. Both cost about £20 - £25 I think.

eedcam 10:44 14 Apr 08

You could try dvd flick which is free
click here

Though if you intend to do this regularly and flick dont work I would'nt buy nero I would try Video redo Tv suite
Not free but fully working trial and excellent for removing adverts and Synch problems
click here

eedcam 10:45 14 Apr 08

You could try dvd flick which is free
click here

Though if you intend to do this regularly and flick dont work I would'nt buy nero I would try Video redo Tv suite
Not free but fully working trial and excellent for removing adverts and Synch problems
click here

noobtype 11:13 14 Apr 08

Yes sorry I do have home premium. My system is a cube247 jupitor, quad core, nvidia 8800, 4gb ram. I read somewhere about a component called sonic encoder that enables this?

john bunyan 17:13 14 Apr 08

Yes Sonic encoders should be in there . I lost mine in a reinstall. If you have them you may not need a conversion programme.If it was pre installed it may be worth having a word with Cube technical. They may be in Cyberlink Power DVD - I originally had version 5 but there were problems with version 6. Then I bought Sonic Primetime as a paid for download fron Sonic. Regrettably I did not have a back up and Sonic had been taken over by Roxio, who discontinued support for it. You have a great system!

noobtype 10:43 15 Apr 08

Thanks john, it's new and it's a beast! Bar some Vista compatibility issues this is the first thing that hasn't worked. If there is an option to burn Tv then surely WMC should be able to do this without having to add additional software? I'm not exactly sure what DVD software I have installed, the cube website isn't exaclty brimming with info.

john bunyan 16:10 15 Apr 08

Not sure about vista version. When my XP MCE was working ok, you recorded a TV show as usual and then there was a menu when you highlighted recordrd tv shows that said "Data" or "Video" disc, always select video if you want to watch the programme on a stand alone DVD player. Whem you say "it" says the file type is not supported, what is "it"? Are tou working in MCE at thos point? If the PC is new I would have thought that Cube would sort it out on the phone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…