Can't browse files over VPN or see workgroup etc

bjcbjc 19:44 09 Apr 08

I have a windows XP Pro machine at home which I am connecting to a hosted Win2K3 server over VPN. I can connect fine after some troubleshooting but can't browse from the server to the client (XP Pro) I also cant see the client on my security panel web interface hosted on the server which is my main concern. When I view the workgroup both machines just show themselves

I can browse files from the client on the server.
I can ping the server and the client by name and IP
(these things I can do without having the VPN connected)

I have only 1 NIC on the server
I have set up shares on both sides
I have set up login credentials to match on both machines
The server has 5 static IPs
I have disabled the firewalls on both
They are not in a domain but share the same workgroup name
I have enabled NetBios over TCP/IP on both sides
Computer Browser and Server services were already started on both machines

As I only need to connect these 2 machines I added the server IP to the lmhosts file of the client. I also tried adding the clients IP on the server but have removed this as I gather the clients network IP is assigned for the connection?

I have even added the WINS component to the server with IP entries on the client and server.

On connect the client shows up in WINS active connections and in the active clients in routing and remote access panel.

The server has DNS settings entered. I have no control over the DNS server as this is a hosted environment

The IP settings for the clients TCP/IP utilities in the properties window says DHCP Enabled and the buttons to edit this are disabled.

I cant think of anything else to tell you

I have just seen this comment on chicagotech.net

If your network doesn't have a router or the VPN is also a gateway, your computer must have at least two interfaces, one connecting to the Internet and another connecting to the LAN. If it is behind a router, you just need one NIC.

Is this relevant as I only have 1 NIC on the server and 1 on the client. As this is a hosted server the server must be behind an internet connection sharing router is this sufficient?

What do you think the problem is?

setecio 12:10 12 Apr 08

>>>> I have a windows XP Pro machine at home which I am connecting to a hosted Win2K3 server over VPN. I can connect fine after some troubleshooting <<<<

What method of VPN are you using and what problems do/did you have connecting ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…