Can't boot XPhome even from CD ROM

muska 18:55 09 Jan 04

Running a new Intel 3.06ghz processor, 1Gig RAM, 120 gig HD, 2 CD drives. Originally using Win98SE, now using XP. XP took 3 times to load all files during its first setup as it kept freezing during the file extraction process.

XP eventually loaded.

I decided to run the CD setup again to add deleted components which I needed afterall. Setup ran but the PC failed to reboot itself. Each time I try to start XP it freezes on the black welcome screen. Waiting 10 mins doesn't work.

I now cannot access my desktop and booting from CDrom has the same freeze effect. Is there a conflict between components or is an individual component at fault?

Big Elf 18:59 09 Jan 04

I had a similar problem and had to try reinstalling about 4 or 5 times before I could finally complete it. This may not be the cause of your problem. In my case the hard drive was on its way out so try downloading a hard drive testing tool from the manufacturer to either confirm or rule out this possibility.

Big Elf 19:18 09 Jan 04

By email

"Thanks for that. How do I find out who the Manufacturer is bearing in mind I can't use the XP diagnostic. Can I see it inside the case? If it is the HD is this a symptom of a cheap and nasty set of components?"

You may be able to see the label if you take the side of the case off. Also something like SiSoft Sandra click here should be able to tell you the manufacturer.

Cheap and nasty components? My personal opinion is that it probably is not the case, you've probably been unlucky. Bear in mind though I could be completely wrong and it's not the hard drive at all.

Big Elf 19:33 09 Jan 04

Doh. SiSoft Sandra won't work as you can't boot. It's possible that a hard disk testing tool from say Maxtor click here will work for any drive but I don't know for sure. You download the file and run it to create a boot floppy.

Rayuk 19:35 09 Jan 04

Will it boot up into safe mode?if so could be a driver causing the problem.

muska 19:41 09 Jan 04

I have found out the HD is made by hitachi and there are no diagnostic tools on their site. Thanks. How do I access safe mode?

muska 19:43 09 Jan 04

Sorry the earlier message should read "there are some diagnotic tools".

Big Elf 19:44 09 Jan 04

They do it's here click here

Boot the PC and tap F8 to access safe mode.

Big Elf 19:45 09 Jan 04

It's the drive fitness test you need to download.

muska 19:50 09 Jan 04

I'll try these and let you know how I get on. Ta.

muska 22:23 09 Jan 04

I have now got a diskette with the hard drive fitness test on it. How do I run it? I pressed F8 but I could not access A drive in order to run the disk. Surely the PC should have detected that drive A had a diskette in it when it was switched on?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…