Can't boot into windows

tasslehoff burrfoot 23:03 22 Nov 05

Hello

I have been dual booting XP and Suse. I decided today that I need the disc space taken up by Suse and deleted the partition.

I now can't boot from hard drive at all.

I have tried going into the recovery console and doing fixmbr, but that hasn't worked.

I have also tried installing XP again onto the old Suse partition but it copies the files across, reboots and starts all over again.

Is there anyway I can fix my xp installation without losing any data?

TIA

Tas

Diodorus Siculus 00:42 23 Nov 05

Try a repair install of XP over itself.

The fixmbr method usually works - did you do a special type of Suse install?

tasslehoff burrfoot 13:39 23 Nov 05

Thanks for that.

How do I do a repair isntall? is it just like a normal install, specifying my C drive, or do I need to do something else?

Thanks

Diodorus Siculus 15:29 23 Nov 05

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
click here

tasslehoff burrfoot 22:11 23 Nov 05

I'm getting a read error now, so I'm assumin the hard drive is kaput

woodchip 22:22 23 Nov 05
  tasslehoff burrfoot 16:11 24 Nov 05

But I can't boot into the drive at all (following booting from CD and repairing etc it won't boot from HDD).

I have gone into the repair console and run chkdsk /r which came back that the drive was okay.

Ran the repair installation (again) and now, instead of disk read error, I get error loading operating system.

Looks like I'm going to have do a full re-install, unless anyone can suggest something else?

Please?

tasslehoff burrfoot 21:51 24 Nov 05

Okay, I've reinstalled windows.

All looking good.

Just got to get my system back the way it was :(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…