Can't Boot Win XP After Running Partition Magic 8

dcr 18:44 24 Mar 05

I had a perfect-running XP Home installation on my PC but the C partition was too small, so I bought PM8 to resize it. The installation went fine, I made emergency boot disks & have the Win XP boot floppy disk too. When running the resize in DOS, something happened and I now get the POST page, then a page of hardware data, configuration settings, etc. The HD light is on permanently. Now the tricky part! I can't boot to either type of floppy, or the installation CD for some reason. I've tried re-setting the boot sequence, used F11 to select the correct device and got nowhere. Any ideas, I can't even reinstall XP without being able to boot, let alone access the registry repair facility. All the FAQs on the Symantec site need booting too! Thanks in advance,

dcr 20:01 03 May 05

After much toil & anguish, I can now get the PM rescue disk to start but it only describes the disk as "bad" and cites an error message 116, which refers to a partition table error. As I have reinstalled Windows on another HD now, I don't care about recovering the Win XP on the primary drive but would very much like to be able to access the family photos and videos on some logical drives which were present but can no longer be seen by PM. Presumably, if I use the format command from the PM window, I will formaat the entire disk and lose the files along with it? If I did this, are there any "deleted" file recovery porgrammes which would find them afterwards? Please help, I'm nearly out of ideas now!

If you can boot to the dos prompt, try fdisk to see whether it can see the 'bad' disk and any of its partitions.

If yes then contact me via the envelope or MSN Messenger '[email protected]'

If fdisk does not work OR you cannot access the dos prompt, please do not format with the PM facility as it does not recognise any partitions, it is most likely to format the whole disk thereby losing your treasured memorabilia.

Good luck

Chegs ® 22:49 03 May 05

I used PM to create partitions/format recently after a dual-boot went awry,I thought I had lost 15Gb's of data until I used File Scavanger.This app managed to recover all my files/photos,it even recovered several 2+Gb images of my original C:\windoze.These wouldn't reload back to my hdd using TrueImage(the app that had created them in the 1st place)Recovery,but worked just fine after recovery for TrueImage Explorer,so I could extract the windoze files I had lost.

If I had used a "normal" Fdisk/format(in DOS) I doubt if I would have been able to recover a tenth of the stuff I had.

I think that PM actually has the ability to "recover" lost partitions included within the software,so if DOS Fdisk can "see" the original partitions,PM should be able to recreate them for you.

dcr 11:40 07 May 05

I have resigned myself to losing everything on the affected HD. I now just want to reformat it and start over. None of my emergency floppy disks will work with it but I can access it with the PM8 CD. When the program starts up, it refers to "partition table error #116 found". When I try to format it (as FAT3 or NTFS, I get an error # 4 when I try to apply the change. The message also mentions "bad argument/parameter". In the dialog box under the error one, the message reads:

"formating partition *:
(BADMBR, Primary Volume, 78160.00MB on Disk 1)
New label and type: (FAT32)"

If it is any help, the Partition info is:
"First physical sector 0 (cyl 0, hd 0, sect 1)
Last physical sector 160,071,659 (cyl 9963, hd 254, sect 63)
Total pysical sectors 160,071,660 (78,160.0MB)
Physical geometry 9964 cyls, 255 hds, 63 sects"

I also noticed that there is currently no active drive set. Should I set the active partition to (BAD)?
Regards,
Dave

dcr 11:40 07 May 05

I have resigned myself to losing everything on the affected HD. I now just want to reformat it and start over. None of my emergency floppy disks will work with it but I can access it with the PM8 CD. When the program starts up, it refers to "partition table error #116 found". When I try to format it (as FAT3 or NTFS, I get an error # 4 when I try to apply the change. The message also mentions "bad argument/parameter". In the dialog box under the error one, the message reads:

"formating partition *:
(BADMBR, Primary Volume, 78160.00MB on Disk 1)
New label and type: (FAT32)"

If it is any help, the Partition info is:
"First physical sector 0 (cyl 0, hd 0, sect 1)
Last physical sector 160,071,659 (cyl 9963, hd 254, sect 63)
Total pysical sectors 160,071,660 (78,160.0MB)
Physical geometry 9964 cyls, 255 hds, 63 sects"

I also noticed that there is currently no active drive set. Should I set the active partition to (BAD)?
Regards,
Dave

Yoda Knight 13:04 07 May 05

Make the drive into a slave and plug it into another machine, then you can try what ever you like on it, recover, format, fdisk etc....

dcr 20:00 10 May 05

I've tried to follow the HD transfer idea but unfotunately, the OSs didn't recognise that another disk is present! Hence, can't format it this way. Any other cunning ideas out there please?
Dave

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…