Can't boot into w2k or safemode!

MichelleC 15:52 14 Aug 03

Had probs on pc with Tcpip.sys file error message. Then had probs on net with explorer. Deleted ie Q818529 in add/remove (latest update). Now I can't get into windows. Mr gates band plays intro music and it stays at splash screen and nothing loads except firewall.

Can only get into safemode command prompt, which brings up cmd; I type sfc /scannow

and press enter, but it says bad command.

I've tried booting with 4 boot-ups to make repair, do repair, insert os disc, repairs (supposedly), then boot up and same prob. (And there I was saying how stable w2k is...)

I've spent best part of day trying to fix, pee'd off, going to cool off in garden. Cheers.

xania 20:42 14 Aug 03

I can only assume that my experiences in the old days of '95 still hold true. In some cases, a single Windows file can become corrupt but, because its there, when Windows insta;lls over the top, its not changed. And, of course, no-one knows what file this is. Under these circumstances, the only thing is to ensure that you have all your important files, wipe you c;| drive and re-install.

If you've got a Parition Manager, I suggest you store the old system somewhere futher done you HD just in case - but make sure that your nrew installation goes onto C:\ - not over your old copy.

VoG II 20:46 14 Aug 03

Try

SCANREG /FIX

MichelleC 08:47 15 Aug 03

Tried scanreg / fix in dos, said bad command; tried it in cmd, said not recognised as an internal or external command.

I'll try taking out devices 1 by 1, then if no go I'll hook up hd as slave on other pc to take off data then format. Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017