Can't boot past wallpaper

Awestruck 12:08 29 Aug 08

A friend's computer was riddled with spies, trojans and the dreaded Braviax malware. I did a complete reinstall of Windows XP SP2 and reloaded her programs.
Tested it with several restarts and Turn-offs. Everything ran very well and much faster than before. Next day it would not boot past the wallpaper, the mouse was loaded but no icons, no task bar.
Ctrl, Alt Del, showed only 'User 0' running.
Safe mode gave same problem, mouse pointer working but no icons no task bar.
Last Good configuration changed nothing.
I booted from the XP CD to use the Recovery Console and tried FIXBOOT but this did not cure the problem.
Searching the internet was little help as the results show only Macs and Linux having this problem. Does anyone in the forum have a clue how to solve this mystery? If not it looks as though I have the chore of a Repair in the recovery console or even another complete reinstall.
Regards
Awestruck

Technotiger 12:39 29 Aug 08

Have you tried sfc scannow?

wotbus@ 12:45 29 Aug 08

Long shot!
Power up, tap Del to get into BIOS Setup, find and "Reset to Defaults", select and exit to bootup.

I am Spartacus 12:51 29 Aug 08

In Repair mode try extracting EXPLORER.EX_ from the i386 folder on the CD ond replaing the current explorer.exe. I've managed to trash mine in the past fiddling about with the registry (removed the word 'start' from the start button but forgot to put the modified explorer.exe in the correct folder) and had the same symptoms.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…