Can't boot up- nothing happens

JennyH 23:31 14 Feb 04

My husband decided all the cables under my desk needed tidying up! Now when I switch the computer on there is a noise (I think the fan starting) but then nothing. 'no signal' on monitor, and no going through normal start up sequence or loading of windows. Whilst he was moving plugs around, the computer did start up sppontaneously a couple of times although I had obviously shut down before he started. No idea why that happened. Could this have damaged the computer in some way and if so what can I do about it. (not very technical but can do simple things like add more memory or a new card)

Any suggestions gratefully received.

woodchip 23:34 14 Feb 04

Take the plugs of the back of computer one at a time and check no pins have been bent also check they are fully pressed on to the sockets

JennyH 23:36 14 Feb 04

Didn't take any cables out of the back of the computer except the speakers

woodchip 23:37 14 Feb 04

So check they are fully pressed in, including monitor

JennyH 23:39 14 Feb 04

Done that, checked them all and they all seem perfectly OK. I did take out the power cable when the computer started up when it was turned off but all the rest look fine.

woodchip 23:40 14 Feb 04

Do you hear any beeps after you switch on

JennyH 23:42 14 Feb 04

No. Just hear a 'whirring' sound and then nothing else.

woodchip 23:43 14 Feb 04

Was the system box moved as something may have been dislodged inside

JennyH 23:49 14 Feb 04

Not really. I've since opened the box and everything seems to be OK and and nothing appears to be disconnected or anything.

woodchip 23:52 14 Feb 04

Next thing to try if you think that it's not too complex, remove the left side from computer case, then remove the cables from Drives. You will see a wide ribbon cable and a power cable with 4 wires to each drive, make a note of the Ribbon cable as it as a red wire on one edge this goes toward the power plug when you put it back on You can leave the Floppy cables in place. the try starting the comp it should start a dos screen to get to BIOS but you do not need to do anything other than tell me if you get any response from the comp

woodchip 23:53 14 Feb 04

PS the computer should be switched of and plug removed from wall to do the above

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…