Can't boot of cd?

Ixtana`ran 13:25 04 Jun 04

Trying to reinstall XP(not fun)Fails to boot of CD Screen says "atapi cdrom failure". Have 2 cd drives fails on both.Tried with boot disk wont recognise drives.Have 2 HDD Only want too format C drive have backed up to D can i use D in any way.

irection 13:36 04 Jun 04

I'm sorry i can't help you but i would appreciate it if you could help me.I've booted from my XP cd and want to format my hard drive wondering if you could help.Don't know where to go from there. Cheers

AndySD 13:45 04 Jun 04

What boot disks have you tried....xp uses 6 floppies click here if not then try while running your current version of Windows , insert the XP CD in the drive. When the setup menu appears, select "New Installation" (clean install) from the pull-down menu. Also, select "Advanced" and place checkmarks in the two boxes. Next, your computer will start copying files and then reboot. At this point, select the c drive/partition . Select the option to "format" this partition using either FAT32 or NTFS.

After the drive/partition is formatted, XP will begin the setup process and install

AndySD 13:49 04 Jun 04

Boot with the cd at the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press F10 or press R to repair, and start the Windows Recovery Console.

At the prompt type in

format drive: /Q

where drive is the drive letter you want to format (eg format c: /Q )

TomJerry 15:12 04 Jun 04

Yes, some CD driver cannot boot CD because of atapi support which WinXP does not have.

You can build your own bootable installation CD with atapi support. You can even integrated SP1a into your bootcd.

Here is the step by step instruction click here. Very easy, I have done a few times.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…