Can't boot after installing XP Home, SP2

Frank-P 23:24 09 Jul 06

I have just rebuilt a Hard Disk using a 2002 XP disk. After downloading and installing SP2 (using Microsoft Update), the PC had (as usual) to be re-booted, but instead of starting Windows, it goes to a DOS type screen saying "We are sorry that we cannot start Windows because of a problem...." and then offering a variety of options including "Start in Safe Mode", "Use last known good configuration", and "Start Windows normally".

All of these simply cause a reboot and a return to the same error message screen!

I have tried the Microsoft website for a solution without success - has anyone got any bright ideas?

sean-278262 23:28 09 Jul 06

Get your windows cd insert it in your main drive and boot your computer by using the CD. Some systems will do this automatically however check with your computer manual for how to do it. If you have a problem them set in the bios your primary cd drive as the first boot device.

A

ade.h 23:37 09 Jul 06

And what CofN should have added was....

Once you reach the options menu, choose to repair your installation using the Recovery Console (which you would be wise to install once things are back to normality). The RC commands are a bit obscure, so I'll post an article on it.

ade.h 23:38 09 Jul 06
  ade.h 23:40 09 Jul 06

One of those old-style MSKB links....

click here

Frank-P 23:41 09 Jul 06

Thanks, but booting from the CD doesn't help, as it would then require either a reinstallation, or a repair (which wouldn't work as most of the files it would repair have been changed by SP2.

ade.h 23:48 09 Jul 06

Yes, I am aware of that. That is why I advised you to use the Recovery Console!!

Frank-P 23:48 09 Jul 06

Thanks ade.h, but whilst I can just about recognise the RC commands detailed in the articles from my days of using DOS long ago, I have no idea what I need to do to actually circumvent this blocking screen and get Windows to start (and close down!) normally...

sean-278262 23:58 09 Jul 06

Do as I suggested and instead of using the Hdd copy of windows use the one on the CD and use it to boot to the GUI we all know. This is done by booting from CD as I said and then doing as it says.

A

Frank-P 00:11 10 Jul 06

Sorry, I must be a bit thick. Booting from the CD and selecting R gives me the recovery console, but I am no wiser as to how to start windows from there...

ade.h 14:29 10 Jul 06

You don't start Windows from there; you fix the problem from there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…