Can't backup to CD RW

IanWilk 11:54 22 Jan 03
  IanWilk 11:54 22 Jan 03

I'm running windows me, recently installed, and want to make a backup of the c drive to a CD rw in the e drive, but keep getting the message that the media - a blank cd rw is write protected. Any ideas?

Lú-tzé 12:02 22 Jan 03

What prog are you using to burn to cd-rw?

Have you formated the cd-rw?

IanWilk 12:37 22 Jan 03

the program is Adaptec CD creator - not an upgraded version, and yes, I did format the disk

€dstow 12:46 22 Jan 03

In my opinion whether you can or cannot back up to CDRW - DON'T!!

If you value your information (which you must do for a backup) CDRWs are notorious for not keeping the data stored on them. As you are having problems even before you start your backups, I would suggest that this is not the route to go.

CDRs are so cheap now and more reliable, why not use them? Or, better still, use a different medium altogether.

I wouldn't use a CDRW even as a bird scarer.

€d

BRYNIT 12:55 22 Jan 03

If you are making a backup of your hard drive you will not be able to do this as the disks are not big enough. You will need to use something like Norton ghost. If you are trying to copy the files with easy CD creator I think the reason you are getting the error is that you have formatted the CD RW with direct CD this only allows you to drag files direct to the CD from your windows explorer file.

IanWilk 13:00 22 Jan 03

Thanks for the advice - I've now tried a cd-r disk in drive e withe the same result unfortunately - ie the write protect message

Simsy 13:30 22 Jan 03

so I'm not 100% sure here, but I think you've misunderstood the advice Ian...

If you are using a formatted CD, (whether it be a CDR or a CDRW), you can't use "Adaptec CD creator", you will need to use "Direct CD" and drag/drop the files you wish to backup.

If you wish to backup the whole of your C drive, i.e. to back up your system, then you will need either "Drive Image" or "Ghost". Both these can be used to make a backup of the whole drive to CD, (though depending on the size of the "C" drive in use more than 1 CD may be needed).

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Simsy

woodchip 13:30 22 Jan 03

Remove the software as follows the XXXX are ware you put the program name to be removed, REMOVE FIRST FROM ADD/REMOVE

To remove follow these step's closely, go to start\find\files or folders type in the box XXXXXX click enter key delete all the entry's it finds with XXXXXX in it. Next go to start run type regedit and press enter, go to menu under edit click find in the box type XXXXXXX and press enter it will bring up only one entry at a time, press delete key then click ok to confirm to go to next entry press F3 and delete do this until you get to the end of the registry. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE IN THE REGISTRY other than XXXXXXX then reboot your computer.

Then reinstall

fitcher 20:08 22 Jan 03

when the cd writters came out I bought an h p one and, it had it's own package .I could write the amount of space used by windows .say 3 gig to four disks .and I could replace windows straight back on () but I find with nero you would have to burn the full disk of say 20 gig .ie..even the area not used .Why they have not done this even with vers 5 I don't know

NormanD 20:16 22 Jan 03

I have just finished backing uo my c drive onto CDRs using Norton Ghost 2003. It performed perfectly and apart from the fact that you need to stay close to the computer to feed it with blanks as requested I can see no problems, and would recommend it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…