Can't Anyone Help?

Jakey boy 09:36 01 Dec 03

I posted this the other day, but no responses. Surely someone can give me a clue or two? ->

Ok guys, I have installed a second 80 gb hard drive with the intention of installing Win XP pro as a dual boot option to Win ME on my master (40gb) drive C: The problem is that because of BIOS limitations, I have had to use Maxtor's DDO (Dynamic Drive Overlay) so that the new drive is recognised as 80gb, and when installing XP, the DDO appears not to initialise on system reboot, since windows setup runs from CD immediately. Any ideas on how to overcome this? I have heard that XP recognises larger HDD's despite the BIOS limitations, but this doesn't seem to be the case here, although I've not yet managed to fully install XP so far. But during the install, XP doesn't recognise the drive as 80gb!

plsndrs3 10:46 01 Dec 03

I don't know anything about DDO, but if the issue is the size of the drive why not split it into partitions that the bios can recognise using something like Partition Magic?

I know that this is not an answer for you, but I didn't want you to think that your postings were being ignored!

spikeychris 11:02 01 Dec 03

"I have heard that XP recognises larger HDD's despite the BIOS limitations"..Not true. No operating system can see a drive that has not been first inspected by the BIOS. Have you tried a BIOS flash?

click here for some more info.

Taran 11:41 01 Dec 03

If you mount your drive to a good PCI IDE expansion card this will allow full access to the drive and will overcome your motherboard BIOS limitations since the card itself deals with the drive connected to it independently of the motherboard BIOS (usually).

It's not a sure-fire sure but it works in most cases and I remember recommending this a couple of years ago for older systems or those with BIOS/hard drive capacity limitations.

Once you've use drive overlay it can sometimes be a pain to reconfigure the drive so you might have a bit of a fight on your hands. It's nothing insurmountable, just a little inconvenient sometimes.

A PCI IDE card costs comparatively little (£30 or so for a branded card is common) but it allows you to connect extra IDE devices to your system (hard disks, CDRW or DVD drives for example).

Jakey boy 15:58 01 Dec 03

plsndrs3 - Thanks for the re-assurance :-)

Spikychris - I didn't believe that either, but I read it in a thread somewhere on this forum! Never mind!

Taran - I know about the PCI card fix, Maxtor recommend it as an alternative to DDO. Just thought there might be another way round it. There is no BIOS upgrade available for my mobo so I may just gothe way of the card.

Thanks all......

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…