Can't access a webpage through broadband Router...

Simac 21:03 21 Jun 05

I have recently had Broadband installed using a router which as 4 ports, which technically should allow me to connect 3 other PC's through the router to connect to the internet. I know I can't network my PC's to see each other for I assume that I need a hub. But this is just a matter of connecting a PC to a router to access the internet through Broadband. Both my PC's are XP o/s. My main PC can access the internet via the router. I have since connected the 2nd PC to the router. I get the green light for activity, I then went through the wizard network connection, which asked if I wnbted to create a new connection, then prompted connect to the internet, then set up connection manually, then connection using a broadband connection that requires user name and password then prompt for ISP name, then finally prompt for User name and Password. Did all this and was finally successful. It connects okay, but when I go into internet explorer it won't bring up any website at all.. Whatever I put in it just shows similar page to if you were off-line. It shows connectivity alright in the bottom right hand window. Where am I going wrong??
Any ideas..
gratefully received
Simac

NickBath 09:35 22 Jun 05

I had similar problem -but not involving router. I was directed to MS-support article 281679 which implicates missing registry files. It may be that your second computer has missing or damaged java script files.
GNB

mgmcc 12:16 22 Jun 05

<<<I know I can't network my PC's to see each other for I assume that I need a hub.>>>

The router has a built-in network switch (more sophisticated than a basic hub) so any connected PCs are already networked to support File/Printer sharing. You do need to configure any firewall software to allow access to the networked PCs by adding their IP addresses to the "trusted area".

<<<I then went through the wizard network connection, which asked if I wanted to create a new connection...>>>

All you had to do was to plug the PC into one of the router's LAN (Local Area Network) ports and ensure that the network adapter's TCP/IP settings were configured to get the IP and DNS addresses automatically, which in any case is the default setting. There should be no connection to set up because it is the *ROUTER* which establishes a connection to the ISP, not one of the PCs, and all PCs get their internet access over the LAN from the router.

If you still cannot get the second PC to open web pages, it *may* help to enter the ISP's DNS addresses manually in the network adapter's TCP/IP settings - DON'T change the IP address setting, only enter the DNS address. If your ISP's DNS addresses (usually two or more) are not available from the support pages on their website, you may be able to get them from the router while online. Most rouiters have a web interface to view and change settings. The DNS addresses allocated by the ISP should be shown.

Simac 13:45 22 Jun 05

Thanks for reply, Firstly PC # one, did automatically attain it's own IP address and subnet mask. But going through the wizard on PC # 2 to establish a network between the two gave an IP and Subnet Mask Address totally different to # one PC, so I manually configured # two PC to be the same apart from the last digit, which I know as to be different. As for DNS address well PC no 1 does not have any on its network adapter, but I assumed that's if you were setting up a server, or am I wrong.
I have pinged both PC's and they both came up with their IP Configurations for the Ethernet Adapter and the PPP adapter. Hence the IP addresses are different in the PPP adapter the last six figures are different.
Simac

mgmcc 14:20 22 Jun 05

<<<But going through the wizard on PC # 2 to establish a network between the two gave an IP and Subnet Mask Address totally different to # one PC>>>

You don't need to run the wizard - just plug in the ethernet cable and set the TCP/IP settings to get the address automatically. It should get an address in the same range as the router itself and the other PC, probably 192.168.x.x

If the second PC is getting a 169.254.x.x address, then it has been unable to get an IP address by DHCP from the router. Although you can allocate a fixed IP address in the correct range, this probably doesn't resolve the problem that router and second PC are not communicating.

<<<As for DNS address well PC no 1 does not have any on its network adapter>>>

If you open a Command Prompt window (go to "Start > Run", type CMD and click OK) and, at the prompt, type:

ipconfig /all

and press Enter, you will see details of all the adapters installed in the PC, together with their details. Normally, with a router, the DNS address in the PC would be the IP address of the router.

Simac 16:53 22 Jun 05

Did the run type CMD ipconfig/all
The specification for PC #1 which works fine came up with:- Host Name .....: myself
Primary Dns Suffix ....:
Node Type .....: Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled ....: Yes
Wins Proxy Enabled ....: No
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix .:
Description: i.e. type of network card
Physical Address .....xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx
Dhcp Enabled ....: No
IP Address .....: 192:168:x.x
Subnet mask ....255:255:255:0
Default Gateway ...:
PPP Adapter (ISP)
Connection-specific DNS Suffix .:
Description: WAN <PPP/SLIP>
Physical Address .....xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx
Dhcp Enabled ....: No
IP Address .....: 165:146:xxx.x
Subnet mask ....255:255:255:255
Default Gateway ..: 165.146.xxx.x
DNS Servers ......: 196.25.xxx.xx
196.25.xxx.x
NetBIOS over Tcpip.....: Disabled
That is what PC #1 shows. As I obviously can't tell from this what the problem is maybe you can help further.
Regards
Simac

Simac 17:38 22 Jun 05

Did the run type CMD ipconfig/all The specification for PC #2 which as the problem came up with:- Host Name .....: myself2, Primary Dns Suffix ....: Node Type .....: Unknown, IP Routing Enabled ....: No Wins Proxy Enabled ....: No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix .: Description: i.e. type of network card, Physical Address .....xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx. Dhcp Enabled ....: Yes, Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes, IP Address .....: 10:0:x.x, Subnet mask ....255:0:0:0 Default Gateway ...:10.0.x.x,DHCP Server ..10.0.x.x, DNS Servers..:10.0.x.x, Lease Obtained: Date as today. Lease Expires..Dated tomorrow.

PPP Adapter (ISP) Connection-specific DNS Suffix .: Description: WAN <PPP/SLIP> Interface Address .....xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx, Dhcp Enabled ....: No, IP Address .....: 165:146:xxx.xxx Subnet mask ....:255:255:255:255 Default Gateway ..: 165.146.xxx.xxx DNS Servers ......: 196.25.xxx.xx 196.25.xxx.x NetBIOS over Tcpip.....: Disabled.
That is what PC #2 shows. As I obviously can't tell from this what the problem is maybe you can help further. Regards Simac
Though I did as you mentioned about plugging in cable and set the TCP/IP settings to get the address automatically on both the Ethernet Adapter and the PPP Adapter and it threw up an IP address totally different to PC #1
Regards
Simac

mgmcc 08:40 23 Jun 05

There is something extremely strange about the IP addressing and, on the face of it, it doesn't make sense.

PC1, which is working, doesn't have DHCP enabled and is using a fixed IP address in the 192.168.x.x range

PC2, which doesn't work, has DHCP enabled and is getting an IP address automatically from the router in the 10.0.x.x range, which suggests the router itself has a 10.0.x.x IP address.

Now logic suggests that it should be PC2 with an address in the same range as the router that works and not PC1. Also, where does PC1's address of 192.168.x.x come from? If you had enabled Internet Connection Sharing in PC1, this would have allocated the fixed IP address of 192.168.0.1 to its network adapter but with a router, you should *NOT* have ICS enabled.

You should have both PCs connected to the router with the router connected to the ADSL phone line, so that it is the *router* that connets to the ISP, not one of the PCs. Both PCs get their internet access over the LAN from the router.

Simac 17:40 23 Jun 05

Yes ICS was enabled so that's how it got its fixed IP address of 192.168.0.1, but if you want to have internet connection sharing with other PC's, then I would assume you need to enable ICS, but you say I should not. Since messing around to see if I can solve the problem, the IP configuration for PC #1 as changed completely to:- Host Name .....: myself Primary Dns Suffix ....: Node Type .....: Hybrid IP Routing Enabled ....: No Wins Proxy Enabled ....: No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix .: Description: i.e. type of network card Physical Address .....xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx, Dhcp Enabled ....: Yes, Autoconfiguration Enabled..:Yes, IP Address .....: 10.0.x.xx Subnet mask ....255:0:0:0 Default Gateway ...:10.0.x.x, DHCP Server...:10.0.x.x, DNS Servers...:10.0.x.x, Lease Obtained..23-06-05, Lease Expires..24-06-05,
PPP Adapter (ISP) Connection-specific DNS Suffix .: Description: WAN <PPP/SLIP> Interface Address .....xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx Dhcp Enabled ....: No IP Address .....: 165:146:xxx.xxx Subnet mask ....255:255:255:255 Default Gateway ..: 165.146.xxx.xxx DNS Servers ......: 196.25.xxx.xx 196.25.xxx.x NetBIOS over Tcpip.....: Disabled

Simac 18:02 23 Jun 05

So with the change of configuration on PC#1, I have changed the IP Address on PC#2.
which reads:Host Name .....: myself2, Primary Dns Suffix ....: Node Type .....: Unknown, IP Routing Enabled ....: No Wins Proxy Enabled ....: No
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix .: Description: i.e. type of network card, Physical Address .....xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx. Dhcp Enabled ....: No, IP Address .....: 10:0:x.xx, Subnet mask ....255:0:0:0 Default Gateway ...:
PPP Adapter (ISP) Connection-specific DNS Suffix .: Description: WAN <PPP/SLIP> Interface Address .....xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx, Dhcp Enabled ....: No, IP Address ..: 165:146:xxx.xxx Subnet mask.:255:255:255:255 Default Gateway ..: 165.146.xxx.xxx DNS Servers ......: 196.25.xxx.xx 196.25.xxx.x NetBIOS over Tcpip.....: Disabled.
I have had quite a few people trying to help out, but to no avail. Having not found a solution I have now decided to call in a Network professional guy to come and have a look and sort it out, been told he will sort it out in no time, will have to wait and see.
Thanks for taking the time to help out.
Regards
Simac

Simac 20:13 23 Jun 05

When I go into IE on PC#2 I get an error at the bottom, where it normally says DONE once it as found the site but it does not, it says Downloading from site:res//C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm. Simultaneously IE comes up with an error saying it could not find the search page in the middle of the screen. When I click the OK button on the warning from IE, it then changes to DONE at the bottom.
Someone also suggested I should not be using a cross-over cable from PC#2 into the port on the router. That I should be using a straight through cable!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…