can't access secure websites in xp

rsturbo 01:08 03 Sep 03

have ie 6 v 6.0.2800.1106 xpsp2.030422-16331c with update versions sp1 q818529 q330994. have no option in add/remove to repair, tried installing latest version from pca cd - does not help, have no restore points as this was affected by BLASTER, tried windows update but can't access it get the following 'your current security settings prohibit running active x controls on this page as a result the page may not display properly' tried setting settings to medium and low also tried setting manually; no use, have ssl and tls enabled in advanced ie options. Please help i don't know what to do!!

powerless 01:17 03 Sep 03

Reapir click here

Bill-224428 01:22 03 Sep 03

I had exactly the same problem a few months ago.
Spent hours adjusting and readjusting my security controls - made no difference. Eventually tried to resolve by reinstalling Windows XP but (don't ask how!)ended up with one copy running on top of the other.

Finally bit the bullet and reformatted my drives, and since then no problems.
I can't be certain, but I have my suspicions that the problem started when I downloaded one of the Windows XP updates/service packs.

I read an article in a computer mag 3-4 weeks ago(Computer Active I think) about the wisdom or otherwise of downloading Windows Updates. Basically, they were saying that one of the main XP service packs should be avoided, as it withdrew Java to comply with a court case ruling.

rsturbo 01:44 03 Sep 03

is there an option as there was in w98se to download the whole thing like an administrator would, as i will have to download it again if i reinstall at anytime

thanks for comments so far

rsturbo 13:44 03 Sep 03

to the top^

whybe 19:57 03 Sep 03

I don't know whether I have missed the point here but I am having problems downloading a printer driver for XP. What I have had to do (not completed yet) is to go to the MS update page/ Then click manage my downloads in left pane. Untick and retick the box and click on settings. In the original pane click Windows Catalog. Then select OS and downloads from there. You then go through the install process manually. This is where I have gone wrong and have received a millimetre by millimetre guide from MS on what to do next as I have always relied on the automatic way.

rsturbo 10:44 04 Sep 03

still unable to access any secure site or windowsupdate.com

any more ideas would be gratefully received

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…