Can't access Regedit because prefix now HTTP:

Blackheath 12:19 24 Jul 05

I've done something stupid. I should start by saying I'm a novice so please bare with me. Can anyone help?

Following instructions to remove a virus (prolivation), I used Regedit to remove the erroneous web address prefix and change the "Default Prefix" back to "HTTP://", however I misread the instructions and also changed the "Prefix" to "HTTP://".

The result is that I now can not access Regedit or any other file or application, because absolutely everything is automatically prefixed "HTTP://" and opens up Internet Explorer.

Is there any way I can get back into Regedit and remove this default??

Thanks in advance..!

vinnyo123 12:38 24 Jul 05

First I would like to say Never touch the registry in a Windows box without knowing how to back it up and restore it. I been working with PCs for around six years now and maybe changed or deleted a reg key under 5 times. Try all spy- ad-ware removel programs first etc.

Read here first to get a good read on watch you actually did.

click here

Blackheath 13:50 24 Jul 05

Thanks vinnyo123.

Yes - touching the registry was a huge mistake. Having read the Microsoft article I can't find a resolution to the problem. Presumably the only way to deal with this now is to wipe the hard drive and reinstall Windows?

Number 7 14:13 24 Jul 05

Reboot and keep tapping the F8 key while the PC boots.

When a screen of choices appears select "Command Prompt only"

Boot to the command prompt and try the following command to run System Restore:

If it does work, you'll have to edit the registry again.

BurrWalnut 14:16 24 Jul 05

I don't think safe mode will work but it's worth trying the last known good configuration.

Repeatedly tap F8 as you switch on and chooose 'Last known....'.

If it doesn't work click here and look for a likely repair. However, if there is a repair it will probably have to be run from a bootable floppy.

Number 7 14:27 24 Jul 05

My guess is that the registry changes will only affect the Windows GUI and that a command prompt will be okay.

BurrWalnut's idea is better though, I should have thought of that!

BurrWalnut 14:55 24 Jul 05

After making my posting, and reading yours, I thought your solution was better!

Let's hope one of them works otherwise there's going to be a lot of pain in Blackheath.

Blackheath 16:56 24 Jul 05

Thanks guys - I'm trying your suggestions, and really appreciate your advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…