Can't access Regedit

Blackheath 12:23 24 Jul 05

I've done something stupid. Can anyone help?

Following instructions to remove a virus (prolivation), I used Regedit to remove the erroneous web address prefix and change the "Default Prefix" back to "HTTP://", however I misread the instructions and also changed the "Prefix" to "HTTP://".

The result is that I now can not access Regedit or any other file or application, because absolutely everything is automatically prefixed "HTTP://" and opens up Internet Explorer.

Is there any way I can get back into Regedit and remove this default??

Thanks in advance..!

bapiow 13:45 24 Jul 05

Are you using windows XP?
If so you can do restore to a previous setting.
Programmes, accessories.system tools,system restore.
Or restart in safe mode by pressing the F8 key.
on a reboot the selecting last known settings.when computer was working ok.

Blackheath 13:53 24 Jul 05

Thanks bapiow, I'll try that (I'm using Windows ME by the way - can I still do this?)

bapiow 14:02 24 Jul 05

Go to this site.
click here

bapiow 14:04 24 Jul 05
  Blackheath 14:17 24 Jul 05

Unfortunately, even when attempting to launch system restore I get Internet Explorer instead of the intended application. The HTTP prefix applies whatever I attempt to do. I'm thinking I'll probably have to wipe my hard drive and reinstall Windows...

bapiow 14:28 24 Jul 05

Can you put xp on your machine?

bapiow 14:40 24 Jul 05

Any help?
click here

pj123 14:52 24 Jul 05

No, for Win ME you will probably need to use scanreg /restore. (Assuming that ME works the same way as Win 98SE)

Give it a try. Switch on and keep hitting the F8 key until you get a menu.

Choose menu item 6, should be something like "Safe Mode Command Prompt Only"

Once there type in scanreg /restore and press enter. (Don't forget the space between scanreg and /restore.)

You should get a list of 5 dates. Select the date prior to the problem and press enter.

Follow the prompts.

Unfortunately, if you have tried to start your computer more than 5 times since the problem started it may not work, but there is no harm in trying.

Blackheath 16:47 24 Jul 05

Thanks guys - I really appreciate your help - I'm still trying and will try your suggestions above.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…