Can't access POP3 server using dialup

Devious Dave 19:31 04 Dec 03

Someone has ask me to fix a problem with their laptop and I am stumped. Using BT openworld (dialup) it won't retrieve e-mails it comes up with an error message:
socket error: 100060 Error Number: 0X800CCC0E.

However I have broadband through a LAN and if I connect it to the LAN and configure Outllook express to get e-mail via LAN it works fine.

The laptop connects to the internet with no problems but will not connect to BT's server. All the settings i.e server names, password etc are all correct otherwise it wouldn't have worked through when I connected to my LAN.

Any suggestions?

recap 19:46 04 Dec 03

"Your SMTP (outgoing mail server) could be blocked. Here is how to test it:
1. Go to 'Start' -> 'Run' -> type: cmd
2. When the Command prompt appears type: telnet 25
3. Wait a few seconds. You must see the following: '220 ESMTP'. This will be OK.
4. If you do not see this message, your SMTP is being blocked. In this case try the following:
- If you are behind a firewall, we may be unable to authenticate you. If you have a personal firewall, try lowering the security.
- Call your ISP and ask if they block people sending through remote SMTP's. Some are doing that, though relatively few.
- You can use your ISP's SMTP server. In your email client, put the SMTP server that you use to send out your ISP email, and your email will still appear with your domain name. Also see the error messages explanations."

Extracted from: click here

Hope that is of some help?

VoG II 19:47 04 Dec 03

click here for Tiscali - adapt to suit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…