Cant ACCESS PC (share files) on a HOME LAN.

IQ 10:09 08 Dec 03

hello guys!

THE BACKGROUND:

2 PCs at home running WIndows 2000 Professional. Both PC's are :

1. sharing broadband internet through an integrated Netgear DG834 ADSL ROUTER/MODEM/DHCP server.

2. retrieving IP address through the DHCP.

3. are on the same WORKGROUP.

4. Both are connected to the router via RJ45 cat 5 ethernet. FINE.

i want for both PCs to share files and printing facilities too. But cant DO IT!. basically, ive assigned one PC as the COMPUTER BROWSER to identify the other PC on the network. I can SEE the other PC (under WORKGROUPS) but cannot access shared folders etc. it responds with " MACHINE> is not accessible. The Network Path is not found.

The router for some reason cant translate the "host name" of the PC it cant connect to but i can see it. I can ping it by IP not by name. what do i DO to make the router see the host name of the PC i cant see?

thanks!

spikeychris 13:01 08 Dec 03

A bit obvious but file and printer sharing is enabled isn't it

Check net view \\IP number

Not sure about 2000, there may be a network wizard you have to run on both machines. See if there's Network Connections in Control Panel.

Terrahawk 15:10 08 Dec 03

have you set up permisssions on the shared folders and printers right click he folder you wish to share select share this folder just below on the right click permissions then add
you can then choose who you allow access to
highlight your selection select add then ok

hope this is of some help

vinnyo123 15:55 08 Dec 03

seems like a DNS problem (domain name service)are you running netbios for name resolution if so you have to bind it to your NIC card.Also are you running any firewalls?

IQ 16:41 08 Dec 03

hi

ive set up file and printer sharing and given everyone access to those shares under permissions.

VINNYo123...

As for DNS, yes this seems to be the problem! the ROUTER has a built in firewall but thats only for data being sent between LAN and INTERNET, and not for PCs within the LAN.

I "THINK" netbios is being used. I think the settings is USE NETBIOS setting from the DHCP server. Other settings are availble e.g. ENABLE NETBIOS over TCPIP.

how do you BIND a DNS NAME to your NIC card? is this with LMHOSTS file? ive read about this somwwhere where if you dont log into a DOMAIN (like i do) then each PC must have a LMHOSTS file detailing IP/HOSTNAME of each client on the network..

any more info would be great..ill try the LMHOSTS stuff tonight!

hi

ive set up file and printer sharing and given everyone access to those shares under permissions.

VINNYo123...

As for DNS, yes this seems to be the problem! the ROUTER has a built in firewall but thats only for data being sent between LAN and INTERNET, and not for PCs within the LAN.

I "THINK" netbios is being used. I think the settings is USE NETBIOS setting from the DHCP server. Other settings are availble e.g. ENABLE NETBIOS over TCPIP.

how do you BIND a DNS NAME to your NIC card? is this with LMHOSTS file? ive read about this somwwhere where if you dont log into a DOMAIN (like i do) then each PC must have a LMHOSTS file detailing IP/HOSTNAME of each client on the network..

hi

VINNYo123...

vinnyo123 16:13 12 Dec 03

by the way do you have client for microsoft networks enabled in local area connection properties.This allows you to use resources over lan, should be activated by default.

You should be logging into a domain with windows to indentify PC'a by name.In a workgroup.Set each computer in the same workgroup and have each PC with a unique name.Set workgroup up in system properties.To open System Properties, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance and then click System.This would enable all PC's to communicate by name or you would need a DNS server to point to PC's Ip addresses.Also you might want to use static IP's.Hope this helps alittle........good luck

IQ 16:32 12 Dec 03

hello mate

i have finally managed to sort it out With direction from yourself and some other resources.

Basically, as all the PC's are WIndows 2000 professional workstations with no DOMAIN or DNS server, so i updated the LMHOSTS/HOSTS file so that each IP address of each PC on the LAN has a hostname assigned to it. This allowed me to ping by hostname at least.

Then, i ran the NETBIOS (nbtstat -R i think!) command to empty and re-cache this configuration so that the LMHOSTS file is broadcasted to the router.

This seems to have fixed it. Also, i enabled only one of my PCs as the BROWSEMASTER on the LAN so that the other 2 dont contend - this simplifies overall control - basically disabled the service under the services window.

now, i can access shared folders/printers and everything is working parfait! nice one and merry xmas to yall!

InZaNE_mOdS 17:52 12 Dec 03

hm... i had this exact problem and thought i should update to sp1 on my xp pro machines, so i did that. Didnt work. i couldnt even access the local networkor see any pcs. Argh, guess what it was, my firewalls. So i disable the built in xp one and my norton firewall on both pcs and it works. merry christmas to you too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…