Can't access my second hard drive.

terrymorro 22:00 21 Nov 04

I have recently bought a laptop with windows xp pro. My first pc was a desktop, using windows 98se.
The 98 pc had an almighty crash which lost my system files (including backup) and I finished up buying a usb 512mb pen drive to rescue all the files off the default drive (drive C) and transferred them to my laptop. I then formatted drive C and reloaded windows. The problem is that I had a second 10 gig hard drive on the desktop pc and windows doesn't know it's there.
I've tried using 'find hardware' amongst other things but no use. There are tons of files on that second hard drive and I don't want to lose them. Help would be appreciated.
Troysouth

LastChip 22:45 21 Nov 04

If you're still using '98se on the desktop, re-boot to a DOS prompt and type the command;

D: (D and a colon) [Enter]

does it change to your D: drive?

If so, you could use DOS to copy the required files to space on your C: drive. At least that will rescue the files.

It's a puzzle why Windows has failed to recognise your D: drive. Have you checked it is physically working? Only last week, I had a machine that could not see a drive, and the power cable had become detached!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…