Can't access my pc, need help please.

loopylou1 17:28 23 Aug 14

I have an old 80gb laptop that I use solely for downloading stuff. I have just upgraded from XP to windows 7 but as I have very little knowledge about the technical side I must have failed to remove some XP files as there is only about 40gb spare on the disc. It has now gone from bad to worse as today I can't access the pc as I get a message on the black screen "GDVZN is compressed Press CTRL+Alt+DEl to start". When I do that it just goes back to the same message about CTRL /ALT/DEL. I think the best plan is to completely wipe the hard drive and install windows 7 again but if I can't access past this black screen, how can I do it? Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated but please allow for my lack of technical knowledge. thanks

Jollyjohn 17:50 23 Aug 14

I would recommend PartedMagic, it is paid for software, but only $4.99

Burn it to a cd and boot from it. The range of tools available is impressive, not least Partition editor which will allow you to remove all partitions on the hard drive, create a new NTFS partition, set it active into which you could install W7

Ian in Northampton 19:39 23 Aug 14

If the Windows 7 DVD you have is bootable, and your BIOS is set to boot from the DVD drive first, just put the W7 DVD in the drive, then restart. It should initialise the W7 installation routine.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:58 23 Aug 14
  loopylou1 11:54 25 Aug 14

Thanks for all the helpful advice. Have booted from the disc and formatted the drive and all seems OK. However, when I check the properties of the drive, it shows used space...11,337,736 bytes and free space ...48,666,132 bytes totalling 60,003,868 bytes. The hard drive is supposed to be 80gb so where is the other 20gb? I don't have any programmes installed other than McAfee internet security and google toolbar.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:01 25 Aug 14

What can you see in disk management? you may have 20G unallocated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…