Can't access just one site

LeonV 19:42 09 Feb 04

I am able to access all the websites I need - with one constant and infuriating exception! Every time I try to log on to the Octopus Travel site, it freezes up. I have tried disconnecting Zonealarm - and I can access the site from my work computer, so I'm not being a complete idiot. I've also tried tinkering with the Java check boxes in Internet Options but, for some reason I just can't get into the site. I am running Windows ME with Internet Explorer 6. The Octopus "technical help people" are at a loss. Any ideas please?

Valvegrid 21:10 09 Feb 04

Is this the site?:

click here#

I have been having a tinker myself, I notice it relies heavily on JavaScript. How far do you get before it freezes.

The only thing I can think of at the moment is either try a repair of IE or even try and reinstall IE from the windows update folder.

Eastender 21:12 09 Feb 04

Do you get any part of the site to download or do you get nothing at all?

I had to reduce my security settings to see the site otherwise I just got a blank page.

VoG II 21:14 09 Feb 04

Well its working like lightning here in IE, Opera and Firebird.

Valvegrid 21:14 09 Feb 04

Ah, just a thought, what ISP are you on, sometimes some web sites don't work with some ISP's for some reason. I'm on NTL World and I had a problem accessing a certain site when everone else could.

Eastender 21:18 09 Feb 04

Ah, and another thought, is it listed on your hosts file?

LeonV 21:44 09 Feb 04

Thanks for all the advice. A top band appears on the screen and then all activity stops. Any advice on what steps to take to reduce security settings? - and I'm not sure what you mean in relation to the site being listed on my hosts file.

VoG II 21:47 09 Feb 04

Do a search for a file called HOSTS (no file extension, just HOSTS). If you find one (or more) rename to HOSTS.OLD then reboot and try the site.

Having said that, I doubt if this is the problem but worth a shot.

Eastender 21:51 09 Feb 04

As the site is starting to download I doubt that it is your security settings but have a look anyway.

In IE6 go Tools>Internet Options> Security and click on 'Default Level'

Eastender 22:02 09 Feb 04

Whether this is or is not caused by a host file, I think 'Hosts Toggle' might be of use for future use click here

LeonV 22:02 09 Feb 04

Tried changing the HOSTS file name - but no luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…