can't access internet through with my laptop

ss6c 10:55 13 Feb 09

New to this subject so easily confused.

I am attempting to access the internet from my Hewlet Packard laptop - vista SP1. With an ethernet cable attached to my PC - XP sp3.
ISP is orange.

The laptop identifies a network and attempts to connect but fails. the diagnosis says can't find anything wrong.

On the PC the LAN properties say limited or no connectivity. I ask it to repair but it says windows could not repair, renewing IP address could not be completed.

I have tinkered with this a lot over a period of time so it might well be that I have to start again from scratch. Hope somebody can help.

recap 11:20 13 Feb 09

Try turning off your router/modem for a few minutes to allow it to re-set itself.

ss6c 12:06 13 Feb 09

Thanks. Can't see how to actually turn off the modem but I did disconnect from the internet.

However, prior to that with more fiddling and running wizards again, I am now in the position of having the status on the PC saying LAN connected. However the laptop will still not connect or be recognised by the PC although the laptops wizards say there is no detected problem with the network.

At some point in the past I set the workgroup title the same on both computers but now I can't remember how to do it on the Vista computer to check it is still the same!!

tullie 08:15 14 Feb 09

Disconnect the power from the router for a few minutes.

mgmcc 09:02 14 Feb 09

Are you connecting to the internet with a PC and a USB ADSL Modem with *INTERNET CONNECTION SHARING* enabled on the modem connection? You don't appear to be using a Router?

ss6c 15:47 14 Feb 09

Hi, thanks for answering Tullie and MGMCC. Yes I am accessing internet with a USB ADSL external modem supplied by ISP.

Since first post I have been able to connect the Laptop as I fiddle about, but, not able to understand what I have done, then when laptop is turned off and on again there is no connectivity, although the PC is saying the there is a connection and the laptop is saying that it is connected to a network!

mgmcc 18:54 14 Feb 09

Try disabling Internet Connection Sharing in the PC, reboot and then enable it again on the USB Modem connection. When you do this, Windows will configure the network adapter with which you connect to the Laptop with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

In the Laptop, the "local Area Connection" should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the PC. It should get an address in the same 192.168.0.x range.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…