Can't access drive D

thamesside 16:56 27 Dec 08

My computer crashed and would not restart.
Re-installed Windows XP from original discs
I have 2 internal hard discs D (system + data) and D (data)
Now Disc D does not appear in My Computer and I cannot access it.
In Computer Management it is there shown as healthy active but without a disc letter.
Action refresh and rescan has no effect.
I removed Norton Systemworks and Zone Alarm as I believe these may have caused the problems.
Any suggestions?

rawprawn 17:01 27 Dec 08

Format it

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:19 27 Dec 08

In Computer Management it is there shown as healthy active but without a disc letter.

right click and assign a letter.

thamesside 17:57 27 Dec 08

Thanks, but
Rawprawn. Not sure if I can format it if I can't access it. Also I would lose all the data.
Frit Bat. If I right click change drive letter is greyed out. Only delete partition is available.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:03 27 Dec 08

I have 2 internal hard discs D (system + data) and D (data)

Both called D?

thamesside 18:21 27 Dec 08

Fruit Bat
Sorry. C (system + Data) and D data
Guess I'm getting tired. It's been a hard day!

Tazfan 10:35 28 Dec 08

I had a similar thing after a reinstall recently. If you have not installed SP 3 yet, do so. That opened up my other drives, and a friend had the same experience.

thamesside 08:32 29 Dec 08

Tazfan
Thanks. Not sure. If I look at the windows update history the only one I can see is "Security Update for Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB952069)". I guess if this was installed SP3 must have been.
The system has made multiple attemps to install "Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1" and it has failed each time. Do you think this is relevent?

Terminus90 08:51 29 Dec 08

if you did not format the drive when you re-installed XP, have you tried a system restore to before the drive dissapeared?

^wave^ 09:08 29 Dec 08

things i would look at has the bios picked it up proply. is it seen in device manager does it have the right drivers. maybe the drive is corrupt and will have to be formated

thamesside 09:29 29 Dec 08

Thanks. System restore does not show any restore points prior to the reinstallation.
Yes the drive shows up in BIOS Ok
According to device manager the disc is working properly so pesumably does not need a new driver or reformatting?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…