can't access device manager in XP

mags65 13:15 24 Oct 05

For some reason that is new (had no probs with this before) when I try to access device manager in control panel, I get the following message.

'Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item'

Any help greatly appreciated ta.

mags65 13:20 24 Oct 05

Sorry, I should add that i can access it through the administarative tools window but not through the hardware tab in the sytems window in CP.

alan227 13:23 24 Oct 05

Try this/ click start / right click My computer / click Properties / click Hardware / click Device manager.

splork 13:24 24 Oct 05

Log in via safe mode to the Administrator account. Navigate to [drive]:\WINDOWS\system32\ and right click sysdm.cpl - make sure it's permissions are set to Administrator or full access. Assuming you are running off an NTFS drive.

mags65 13:26 24 Oct 05

This doesnt work. The actual device manager tab wont let me in unless I go through administrative tools window although it used to work fine the way you are suggesting.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:43 24 Oct 05

Can you get in by typing devmgmt.msc in the run box?

IF not then Repair XP by replacing corrupt files

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…