Can't access CD Drive from DOS

Frank-P 12:31 29 May 04

I have an old (1996)Gateway PC with a P120 chip, running Windows 95.

The PC was running ever more slowly, and had a load of clag on it, so I decided to reinstall W95 as the easiest way to solve it. I used "deltree windows" to delet it, and then attempted to run W95 installation from CD, a procedure a I have used several times previously for W98 sytsems without problems. The PC refused to recognise the CD Drive, and the BIOS settings do not list the CD drive as an option for booting from.

I have downloaded and installed the CD ROM driver from the manufacturers website, but I guess I probably need a specific DOS driver. My guess is that I need to edit config.sys as well.

I bought Gateway because of the promised lifetime tech support (not realising that Gateway's lifetime meant 5 years!). I have tried their US website for answers and bios updates, but without success.

Can anyone help please?

MartinT-B 12:50 29 May 04

I THINK you need a 98 startup disk.

It sounds mad, but with the 98 disk there is an option to run virtual CD drive, which the 95 startup disk doesn't have.

click here

You install that at boot, then the PC will 'see' the CD and you should be able to install 95 from the CD you have.

spikeychris 12:51 29 May 04
  Eric10 12:54 29 May 04

It's probably easiest to download a boot floppy from click here. Their Win95b boot disk has CD-Rom drivers on it.

Frank-P 13:30 29 May 04

Brilliant - thanks for your help fellas. The W95B disk still would not recognise the CD-ROM, but then I tried the Win98 version, and BINGO!

Thanks a lot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…