canoscanN656U set-up

snail2 16:12 24 Aug 10

I've been given this scanner. I run windows XP. connected scanner via CD-ROM worked until I ran disc clean-up now windows won't recognise scanner. can't re-install. Get error message - 16 bit subsystem -'system32\config.nt not suitable' How can I re-install scanner?
BrianT

northumbria61 16:21 24 Aug 10

Download and try this FREE fix - click here

Simsy 18:53 24 Aug 10

"Connected sacanner via CD ROM", I assume you meant using the original scanner driver disc?

If so, there is almost certainly a more up to date driver...

It's quite possible that Windows updates that are newer than the date of that driver are causing a problem, and that the "cleanup" has triggered something in the update. ALso a USB driver could be the problem. They are quite capable of going corrupt but still working for some things. As they will be providing power for this scanner they need to be working right!

So, first of all I'd get the newest driver for the scanner.
click here
Run the exe file with the scanner unplugged.

Then UNINSTALL the USB drivers, from device manager.

REBOOT and windows should refind and reinstall the USB drivers.

Then plug the scanner into a USB socket and keep your fingers crossed!!

Note that because the scanner wikll be taking power from the USB socket it might be better to have it use a socket direct on the motherboard, rather than via a hub.

Hope this helps, with apologies if it doesn't!

Regards,

Simsy

snail2 13:52 26 Aug 10

Thanks for advice from 2 of you.
I tried both suggestions with limited success. Sorry to be a pain, but not good with these things if they refuse to work as I want them to do.
NOW scanner 'fires-up'but when trying to install related software from install disc get another error message "re-install SYSTEM.DRV to system32directory"
apps for scanner do not load up. HELP! Snail2

Simsy 14:24 26 Aug 10

the related software?

Regards,

Simsy

snail2 18:45 26 Aug 10

The Setup CD_ROM has Scangear CSU ;scangear toolbox; Arcsoft Photostudio; Arcsoftphoto base;Caere Omnipage pro All of which I assume would be useful to run scanner & get best of use from it .

Simsy 20:39 26 Aug 10

The only software you actually NEED to run the scanner is the Scangear, (which is the driver). the Scangear toolbox is useful, but the Arcsoft stuff and Omnipage Pro you do not NEED to use the scanner.

Having said that it would be good to have some imaging software. Do you have any installed already, anthing such as PaintShopPro, Adobe Photoshop elements, Irfanview, Picasa, ACDSee... anything like that?

If you do then all of these should be able to access the scanner and have it perform a scan, importing the picture into it. That is what you'd do with Arcsoft Photostudio... (SOftware I tried when my dad got it with a similar scanner some years ago... I'm not a fan... but that's incidental!)

The technique varies with each application, but generally you are looking for something on the menu bar that says, "Aquire"...

And it should be fairly straightforward from there.

If you have no joy still I would try UNinstalling the scanner driver, and Arcsoft, and starting from scratch... Installl the uptodate driver, reboot, plug the scanner in, let it do it's installing thing, reboot again.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…