CanoScan 5000f and Windows 7

Jodakist 12:51 06 Jul 10

I have just updated to Windows 7 and have found that I can't install my CanoScan 5000f scanner.

I emailed to Canon to ask about an update for the scanner but was told that Windows 7 does not support it!

I wondered if anyone has any ideas as to how to get round this or do I just have to scrap a perfectly good scanner?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David

northumbria61 13:05 06 Jul 10

Try downloading and installing the Vista driver from here - you may find your scanner will work with it.- click here

jack 14:05 06 Jul 10

These is a facility
Comparability Wizard
This allows the Current operating system to run as an earlier version'

or
click here

Jodakist 18:01 06 Jul 10

Thank you northumbria61 and jack for your help.

I did as you said northumbria61 and downloaded the Vista driver from the Canon website then followed your advice jack. The canoScan toolbox still failed to load. However, I with a bit of checking on what files had downloaded I found a Toolbox link which I clicked to install and I am happy to say that the scanner is now working perfectly!

Thank you both for your help, I am very grateful to you. It's a pity that the Canon technical help team evidently do not have as much knowledge on how to make their products work as you two!

Thank you again,

David

Jodakist 18:01 06 Jul 10

Thank you northumbria61 and jack for your help.

I did as you said northumbria61 and downloaded the Vista driver from the Canon website then followed your advice jack. The canoScan toolbox still failed to load. However, I with a bit of checking on what files had downloaded I found a Toolbox link which I clicked to install and I am happy to say that the scanner is now working perfectly!

Thank you both for your help, I am very grateful to you. It's a pity that the Canon technical help team evidently do not have as much knowledge on how to make their products work as you two!

Thank you again,

David

northumbria61 20:35 06 Jul 10

Good news - I had the same problem with the Canon Toolbox software for my Canonscan 8600F but mangaged in the end. It was the one and only problem I had in the change from Vista to Win 7 Pro. 64 bit. Scanners have always been temperamental.

pveness 20:37 05 Sep 10

Hi, Jodakist.

Please can you explain in more detail exactly what you did to get your 5000f scanner working.

I downloaded the 5000fvst8021a_xpen.exe file from the Canon site and have located the Compatability wizard. But I can't find the unzipped version of the downloaded file and so don't know where to go from here.

Thanks, Peter.

john bunyan 21:05 05 Sep 10

I have a Canonscan 8800f. and W7 64 bit. Downloaded drivers from the Canon website. Only problem is that I use Photoshop CS5 (both 32 and 64 bit installed) and only the 32 bit version allows te use of TWAIN, which I prefer for scanning software to the WIA interface.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…