Canoscan 5000F / Win XP pro compatability

birksy 21:28 03 Oct 03

Using scanner quite happily in Win 98, then upgraded to XP pro from a clean install.
Scanner worked fine for some weeks, then decided that that the "lockswitch" was in the locked position.
Scanner returned to dealer who found "no fault", but reported problems had been reported with VIA chipset computers.
I run an MSI motherboard with an nVidea chipset!
Any ideas guys & gals ?

mark500 22:08 03 Oct 03

click here

Latest XP drivers and tools.

birksy 17:42 05 Oct 03

8 Meg download of drivers from Canon, 20 Meg download of motherboard updates from MSI (MS-6729)
incl. BIOS. ON A 56K MODEM ! and the system still tells me the "lockswitch" is "on".
Perhaps my supplier lied, and the scanner is faulty.
Canon are providing no feedback at all, despite an incident log Number via phone, and via the website "contact us" helpline.
Anybody any idea's ?

mark500 21:35 06 Oct 03

CNET REVIEW OF CANOSCAN 5000F

18-Jun-2003 06:28:27 PM

Worked Great! For two days..." Produced beautiful scans from photo prints and color negatives. OCR worked great! I just wished it would have lasted longer than two days. I got an error telling me to make sure the "lock/unlock" switch was in the unlock position. It was unlocked...duh. I got through to Canon's tech support on a Saturday morning quite easily. Hearing the issue with the scanner the tech just said, "Yup. It'll need to be serviced". Hearing that they'd give me a refurbished unit as a replacement didn't make me feel too good about my purchase. I'll take a refund, thanks.

birksy 08:05 07 Oct 03

Canon have now agreed to take back the scanner to have a look at it. Wish I had got a quick response like mark500!
"Digital First", my supplier, didn't get this response either. Scanner out for about a month now, and I have still got to send it to Canon.
Don't it do your head in?

birksy 08:08 07 Oct 03

By the way. THANK YOU! mark500, ( bit close to 5000 isn't it?) You have saved my sanity knowing it's not just me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…