Canon scanner problems

XP Medic 17:42 26 Feb 04

My Canon scanner (canonlide 50) has stopped working suddenly. I get the message "Cannot communicate with scanner, cable maybe diconnected, check status etc" and then the message "unable to open Twain source, please check connection"

I have changed the USB 2 cables, changed the usb ports, deleted the driver and reinstalled, unplugged the scanner and then connected it up again and still no joy.

In device manger the scanner report says it has no problems and is working fine, but the status says unavailable.

I set the scanner up on my old Win98 machine and it works fine albeit a bit slower on a USB1 connection!
So the scanner is still working it seems but not in Win xp home anymore.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I e-mailed Canon- UK and as yet have had no reply!!

JIM 17:49 26 Feb 04

you have re-installed the tool box software?

JIM 17:55 26 Feb 04

Windows Image Acquisition (WIA).(via computer management) Provides image acquisition services for scanners and cameras,in "services" and is set for auto or manual?

XP Medic 18:28 26 Feb 04

Many thanks for your prompt replies.

I have reinstalled the latest toolbox and drivers to no avail.

In my services the Windows Image aquisition is set to automatic, the status is started.Any more ideas?

BarryKeith 18:35 26 Feb 04

When updating a driver (INF file) for a piece of hardware using Windows XP, proceed as follows, if it is a USB device ensure it is disconnected first: 1. Click the Start button, and then click Control Panel. 2. Click Appearance and Themes. 3. Then Click Display 4. Click the Settings tab. 5. Click Advanced. 6. Click the Monitor tab. 7. Click Properties. 8. Click Driver tab. 9. Click Update driver. 10. Click 'Install from a list or specification location (Advanced)'. 11. Click 'Don't search. I will choose the driver to install'. 12. Click 'Have Disk.' 13. Select the 'Applicable [(model name) folder] in [Drivers folder] from the drive containing the CD-ROM.' Then Click OK. 14. Select the model name that matches your monitor or other peripheral then click Next. 15. You may get a warning window. To continue the install click 'Continue Anyway'. 16. When 'Completing the Hardware Update Wizard' is displayed, click Finish.

Meshuga 18:37 26 Feb 04

Have U just changed to XP because I recently did and my canon scanner refused to work even with downloaded latest driver. No matter what was tried it would not work. Finished up buying a Zerox. Meshuga.

XP Medic 18:54 26 Feb 04

I have had this scanner working within Windows XP for a while and suddenly....the rest is history. My scanner drivers are windows xp signed.

woodchip 19:06 26 Feb 04

not the Scanner it sounds like XP USB2 corrupt

JIM 19:23 26 Feb 04

you may have a conflict from an other source if problem has just occured.Is there any thing you have added or changed of late?

Though your error(unable to open Twain source, please check connection etc)has led you to checking out what would be the norm and is well documented on the canon site -----------------
Did you uninstall via the cdrom or from the programs list in XP?/Take it you have tried S/R

XP Medic 20:46 26 Feb 04

I uninstalled from the cd as well as via the instructions on the Canon web site.

I tried system restore from 3 different points and XP Home was unable to restore the system to any of the points. It seems that my computer has more underlying problems. Funnily though everything else is working well. Maybe it is one of lifes mysteries!!

I can feel a reformat coming on

How do I check for conflicts?

Many thanks for your input so far

XP Medic 20:50 26 Feb 04

I have reinstalled the drivers for my usb2 card and my other devices, a printer and Zip750 both seem to be working with no problem. I even tried moving each component to different slots on the card but to no avail.

Many thanks for your input so far

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…