Canon S750: RIP. What now???????

Faffingwaste 14:37 24 Feb 07

Had my Canon S750 inkjet printer for four years and it's been superb.

It's also been incredibly cheap to run compared to its predecessor: a rip-off Lexmark (the manufacturer who give the printers away so as to charge 10 times that amount for the ink.)

The black jet on my S750 has "expired" and a repair with a new head would cost so much, it isn't worth it.

So can anyone recommend a suitable inkjet (with low running costs!) as a replacement?????? Thanks!

Technotiger 15:08 24 Feb 07

Hi, have always used Epson myself, but as you are used to Canon, I would advise you to continue with Canon - I am not familiar with their printers, but I am sure you can pick up a bargain on-line.

jack 15:50 24 Feb 07

The best advice is to stick with what you know but having said that stuff changes so much the Canon may be a dissappointment - who can say, you only have to watch the monthly charts in PCA to see the Ring a Roses that Epson Canon HP play
Like TT I'm with Epson.

PaulB2005 16:38 24 Feb 07

Stick with Canon.

You can try the range before you buy..... click here

My S630 has a replaceable print head - does the S750 not? Thought they were only about £50.

Faffingwaste 17:11 25 Feb 07

Thanks for the advice & suggestions, it is pretty bewildering, this see-sawing of position between Canon and Epson. I've never had an Epson, though have heard only good things about their quality -- then again though, this Canon has been so good, too, that I'm flummoxed over its replacement.

PaulB: I'll go follow that link you provided -- many thanks -- and review what's available now. As to an S750 repair / replacement print head, the thing is I only paid £82 for the S750 in what was then known as a Dabs' online auction (not sure if Dabs do them anymore) and this printer has been in more less 5-day a week use since acquisition.

So for the money spent, I've actually no complaints -- but forking out £50 now might not be too sensible an investment in view of its age. Still; I'll be really sorry to see it go, this is one printer to which I've become attached in every sense of the word!

Thanks again.

PaulB2005 17:23 25 Feb 07

The only thing i'll say is that in defence of Canon, if my S630 needed a new ink head then i'd consider replaceing it before buying a new printer. It's been brilliant for over 5 years now.

The only other advantage i can state of Canon over Epson is the clear ink tanks. You can see Canons use every last drop of the ink you pay for. Unlike Epson which retain a large % (apparently upto 30%) once they have "run out".

I have a client who uses a few Epsons. He replaces each one every 12-18 months because of various breakdowns and the "Service Light" problem - where the printer no longer prints but needs Servicing / Binning because the Waste Ink pad is full.

Faffingwaste 18:39 25 Feb 07

Point taken, Paul -- and thanks again!

Have to say, I'm being cautious right now. . . The problem (if one can call it that!) is that the Canon S750 excelled in mono text print quality -- very important to me, by virtue of occupation -- yet delivered great results as a photo-printer.

Looking at some reviews of models from all the major brands, I keep coming across bouquets for photo-printing and brick-bats for text output.

Obviously, many users have no need for a good ol' text printer (I recently printed off an entire 200pp manuscript in the S750's draft mode -- it was so sharp, legible, flawless and consistent there was no need at all to re-run in 'standard' output) so it's no wonder so many reviews nowadays emphasise photo print quality above all else.

So anyway. . . I'm still pondering!!

Simsy 12:55 16 Mar 07

and I had to replace the print head about 3 years ago...

It cost the best part of £90.

It's been excellent, for both text and pics, but it did cost me £160 back in 2001... and even then decent domestic printers could be had for about £50.

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…