Canon S520 has problem printing red

Nosmas 01:07 23 Jan 04

My two year old Canon S520 periodically prints a rather muddy looking red instead of the normal bright colour. None of the individual ink tanks are anywhere near empty. The colour is generally corrected by performing a print head clean, but it doesn't seem to last for long before another clean is required. Apart from being a nuisance and having to reprint the document after the clean, it also wastes ink each time a clean is performed.

Recently I did a 'deep' print head clean in the hope of prolonging the cleaning intervals, but today some text that should have been red was in fact a rather pale brown/grey colour.

Has anyone else experienced this problem - particularly owners of an S520 - and found a solution to the problem?

Nosmas 13:02 23 Jan 04

Nosmas 18:31 23 Jan 04

Any ideas please from anyone on the evening shift?

Nosmas 20:07 23 Jan 04

Bump again for the night shift!

Can someone please offer advice?

what ink carts do you use ?

Reason for asking, is that I had a canon S520 worked great when using canons own brand, not to bad either with Printright carts

But when I started to use the refill ink from Currys (pcline I think) it started to give me same problem as you have

Tried to use a flush to no avail

Problem was that the refill ink I was using was blocking the print head

You can try a flush to see how you get on or you can buy a new print head for it at DABS

I bought a new printer canon i965 and i am sticking to canon carts

Canon now up in the attic

PA28 21:47 23 Jan 04

I have experienced similar problems long ago with a Lexmark - when I examined the print head this had like an ink impregnated dust on it that was both affecting the colour and smearing the print. Changing to a better quality paper seemed to effect a cure.

Nosmas 21:29 24 Jan 04

Sorry for the delay in returning to this problem, but have been out all day.

Whitesox - thank you for your response. I have always used genuine Canon ink cartridges and have never tried 'compatibles' or refills. Can you please enlarge on what you mean by 'flush' as I can't see any reference to it in the Quick Start Guide or in Help. Do you mean literally washing the print head with water? If so I presume one will need to 'de-install' the print head and that this is a reversal of the installation procedure, or are there any snags to be aware of? I would rather try this first as a possible solution than have to spend £50 plus on a new print head

PA28 - thanks for your suggestion but I think the (90gsm) paper I use is good quality paper. I have not seen any evidence of dust in the paper.

Simsy 06:26 25 Jan 04

that by "flush" whitesox means a full head clean, using the software. This should be available, (assuming it's the same as my Canon s630), via the "Maintainence" tab of the printer properties...

Start>Settings>Printers then right click the printer and choose properties.

I sympathise... I've just had a similar problem and a new head has cost me £77

Good luck,

Simsy 06:27 25 Jan 04

I'v just re-read your initial post.... you've already done that.. sorry!

Cartridge flush is a liquid solution that is sold in (don’t like to support these but) Currys, Pc world
A product of JR ink (I think)
Before you buy my I suggest that you read the instructions first, to see if you are willing to attempt it
Best of luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…