Canon Powershot A70 wont work with XP

Shorty123 17:56 14 Jul 04

Hi, Just got my first digital camera, installed everything, camera is there in imaging devices under device manager but whenever I plug it in I get error message "Camera Not Found". Tried it out on friends older pc (98SE) and everything works perfectly. Downloaded latest driver from Canon website - still got the same problem, Camera Not Found (although very occasionally, three times so far out of about 100, it does find it and works ok). Any ideas anyone, I am getting desperate!
Shorty123

Daz35 18:39 14 Jul 04

Have you installed all the software that came with the camera?

Also make sure that the USB socket is working properly and that you're not getting conflicts.

Try a complete uninstall of camera software and reinstall - although XP should find it anyway.

Failing that, buy a memory card reader - they're fairly inexpensive and I find much faster than other methods.

I have an A70 and have never had any problems (so they do work with XP!)

Good luck

isca2 19:23 14 Jul 04

I usae the same camera with XP Home and has always worked fine. Sounds as if the USB port may be a problem. If you have it plugged into a USB Hub, then try it direct into a port on the PC. ( Or vice versa ! ). One of my USB ports was a bit iffy but the others are fine !.

Indigo 1 19:25 14 Jul 04

Just a mention of the Photo Viewing switch, make sure the camera is switched to View Pictures

Shorty123 20:54 14 Jul 04

Hi all, I have installed all the software and have tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail. Have also got a different installation disc in case the first one was faulty but still exactly the same problem. The camera,disc and cable are fine as they work fine on my friends (Windows 98SE) pc. I have been using the 2 usb ports at the front of my tower - same result in both - I'll try ones at the rear and see if anything different happens...thanks for the advice so far, does this sound as if my PC may have some sort of fault? I have an Epson stylus CX3200 all-in-one connected, could this be the problem?? I really don't want to have to return the camera as it was such a bargain (£129). Will try different ports and report back
Shorrty

Shorty123 21:09 14 Jul 04

Ok I have tried the usb ports at the back of the tower that I KNOW work and still no joy, same problem "camera not found" although it is there in the device manager. What is a memory card reader? Do I have to accept that this camera just isn't compatible with my pc?

Please keep advising me, I don't want to give up on my bargain!Shorty

Shorty123 21:10 14 Jul 04

Sorry, meant to say, the camera is definitely set to view pictures (or replay as canon call it)
Shorty

Daz35 01:21 15 Jul 04

Just to make you feel better (and me worse), I paid £220 for the same camera just under a year ago and that was £70 cheaper than anywhere else!

A memory card reader is a USB device or sometimes something attached to your PC that reads whatever kind of media you are using.

In your case a compact flash card.

You put the card in the slot and download your pictures - simple as that really.

Have a google for some prices and info - you should be able to pick one up for between £20 and £30 and you won't have to attach your camera, just the card reader.

Post again if you're still confused and I'll find some links to explain.

Cheers

Shorty123 08:22 15 Jul 04

Thanks for that Daz35, I think I may end up having to do that (which is a shame, the camera doesn't seem such a bargain then. If it makes you feel any better, a guy in Curries had paid £220 in January this year!
Cheers

one23 08:33 15 Jul 04

Just a thought .The software must be fully installed before connecting the camera to the PC. After you have done that restart the PC and connect the camera and switch it on. If it still does not work try unplugging all the other USB devices and try again.

I have a Canon A80 and have always used a card reader , it is so easy to use and you do not have to rely on the camera batteries.I picked up a relatively cheap one from PC World .

ventanas 08:35 15 Jul 04

The fact that you have installed the drivers is possibly the cause of your problem. You do need or want them with XP as mentioned by Daz35. All you do is plug in the camera and it will be detected. I've had a A70 for about a year now, and have never connected it to the computer. You can see why. Just get a CF card reader and use that. Again don't install anything that may come with it, just plug it in.

Installing the aditional software if fine, but leave the drivers alone. You can also try disconnecting the Epson. Might be getting in the way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009